Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Need help with probability homework! (Bayesian model)?

1. Suppose a pill exists with the property that one out of every 100 such pills contains a lethal amount of a substance, and that the other 99 are harmless.

a. Calculate how many people would be expected to die if:

a 1000 people each take 1 pill,

if 1000 people each take 2 pills,

and if 1000 people each take 100 pills.

Assume each person is taking the pills from a huge source of pills, so that the “1 out of 100” statistic remains unchanged as the pills are taken.

Okay, for the first one, I assumed 1/100 chance of death. Since its taken with replacement, the answer = 1/100 * 1000 people = 10 people will die.

For the second one, Probability of getting pill on first try OR second try. P(A) or P(B) = P(A) + P(B) = 1/100 + 1/100 = 2/50 * 1000 = 20 people will die.

What happens if everyone takes 100 pills?! It seems like everyone is going to die!

Update:

Thank you so much! I actually did get 19.9 deaths for 2 pills, but I thought it was wrong, so I started to do it another way.

(:! Thanks again!

-Johnny

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Mitch
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi Johnny,

Kudos to you for the proper use of Y!A in seeking help with your homework.

I can see you've attempted the problem and followed up with good logic.

Because of this, I'm going to afford you the benefit of solving this problem.

(It's normally something I DON'T do).

Your answer for question #1 is correct.

When you get into multiple independent probabilities, the formula changes!

"If 1000 people take two pills... how many will die?"

Let's look at the problem from a different angle... "How many will NOT die?"

P(alive after taking two pills) = (.99) * (.99) * (1000 people) = 980.1 Living Souls.

This means on average, 19.9 die from taking this medication.

(Notice it's not exactly the 20 deaths you expected)!

P(alive after taking 100 pills) = (.99)^100 * (1000 people) = 366.032 Survivors.

This means that about 634 people are expected to perish from taking this drug.

Does that make sense?

Good luck in your studies,

~ Mitch ~

Source(s): College Level Stats
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.