My 1 year old refuses solids...I am at a loss...?

Today we have taken her for her 12 month well check and her weight is 19 pounds. The doctor asked the nurse to double check. She is doing perfectly fine on height and head circum. She was concerned with her weight and offered to be "pressing" on her diet. She suggested giving the baby Enfamil First Steps. My baby never liked formula and is still breastfeeding almost full time. For the past 5 months I have tried everything- I am shouting- everything, to make her eat. Home cooked, jar food, fruits, mashed, chunks, high chair, floor....She is trying a few spoons here and there, but nothing substantial. The doctor even suggested forcing the food. How can you do it to a baby who does not understand what you want from her? My question: has any of you moms or dads have similar issue and how did it work for you? When did your baby start to eat and gain weight? I feel like crying each time I see this beautiful baby refuse to eat...make me feel I am a bad mother. How come so many kids out there just LOVE to eat and mine is so shy?

Favorite Answer

As usual, I agree 100% with K.

Keep offering food throughout the day, but don't make a big deal out of it, and continue to nurse on demand. Also, forget the spoons. Just put a couple pieces of something in front of her, and let her pick it up with her hand (if she wants to). If she shows any interest in what you're eating, share a bite with her. She's old enough to be on all table foods by now. The key here is to not make a big deal out of it -- don't beg, don't plead, don't force, don't punish. Your job is to make food available to her, and it's her job to decide whether or not to eat it -- simple as that.

My oldest loved her solids (baby food, table food, whatever) and was nursing 6-8 times a day on her 1st birthday, but she still only weighed 19 lbs. Shortly after that, she had a huge growth spurt and gained weight very quickly.

My younger daughter ate almost no solids until right around her 1st birthday. We used to joke that she ate more carpet fuzz and Cheerios off the ground than she ever did of anything at the table. She was nursing about 8-12 times a day at that point. By age 2, she was a grazer, nibbling at food throughout the day but rarely eating a "full" meal. She nursed until she was 2 1/2 years old. She's now 5 years old and is a great eater -- fruits, veggies, meats, everything. She's also long and lean (but not skinny). She knows her body's cues and stops eating when she's full.

My youngest refused all pureed foods, but loved all fruits pretty much from the get-go. At a year, he was living mostly on fruit and breastmilk with the occasional other table food thrown in. Shortly after his first b-day, he was eating everything in sight -- meat, cheese, fruit, veggies (including cucumber and bell peppers), etc. He's now 2 1/2, still nurses 1-4 times per day, and ranges from eating everything in sight to nibbling all day. We just offer a variety of healthy foods and follow his lead.

If your baby is generally happy and healthy, then there's nothing to worry about for now. Just keep nursing her on demand, and she'll come around soon enough. Hang in there!

Forcing her to eat is not going to help anybody. That's like the classic story of the oatmeal that the kid won't eat, warm it up for lunch, dinner, etc. It doesn't work that way. For the record, I was a perfectly healthy baby and I weighed right around 19 pounds at 1 year. My sister was the same. Maybe you don't know this, but breastmilk is all the nutrition that most babies need until 12 months of age. My advice would be to take a break from the solid foods for a week or so, and breastfeed completely. Then start up again with solids, but don't push it. Keep in mind that babies do not starve themselves by choice. She will eventually start liking more solid foods. After reading your post, I had no negative comments about your parenting at all, except about your slightly unnformed doctor. Stay positive, and remember, no child breastfeeds forever! =)

My son was the same way and we are now finding out he may be having some sensory issues.. (he is 20 months now) and still the pickiest eater alive :) Although weight was never a concern with my son it took FOREVER to get him on solids.. (assuming you mean going from step 2 baby foods to step 3) My son did fine with step 2 foods but had a really hard time when it came to the chunks in stage 3 and in table food etc.. the things we did was I would try to give him stage 3 foods.. he would gag and gag and spit it out but at least we tried it.. then I would feed him as much stage 2 as his little heart desired.. My son always liked stage 2 foods but never liked stage 3 he pretty much went from stage 2 to table foods.. Basically we just worked with him.. it was hard and it took a couple of months before he would really eat solids without gagging.. it also took some time to find out what he liked.. his favorites at first was Bananas and Pancakes.. easy to chew and yummy! I know it's probably not the best plan in the world but even try rewarding her with something sweet like a taste of a Debbie cake or something so that she might realize not all table foods are bad! Also we made sure everything was as finely mashed as we could get it.. so it still had texture but wasn't gag me chunks.. It's hard just hang in there she will get it!

EDIT: I forgot also my son did really well with the puffs

Wow, you are getting AWFUL advice. I am sorry.

First -- get a new doctor.

Read http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/weight...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits...

Do not give formula.

Do not force food.

Just hand over appetizing food and let her self-feed whenever you are eating. And nurse often. It is quite normal for a nursing baby to still be getting the bulk of her diet from breastfeeding at 12mo.

my nephew is the same.....except hes 3 and extremely under weight. Nothing traumatic has happened to him but they had to take him to a child psychologist who specializes in food (i didnt know they existed but apparently they do). it might sound silly but even though hes not a massive eater he gets his daily requirements, so it has obviously helped.

not sure if this is for everybody but if your really concerned maybe you could look at it as an option?

mine did the same thing, she worried me really bad. The only things she would eat basically was bread. Now, I can't get her to quit eating. It just takes time and patience. When she is hungry enough, she'll eat, trust me. Don't give her any snack food she'll get hungry enough to eat.

I didn't start trying to put shoes on daughter till she was trying to walk and she too hated them..I would get one on and by the time I got the other on she took the first one off...as she got more independent on walking tho she started getting used to the shoes. I started buying shoes that were hard for her to take off or mess with and now she loves them. She trys to put them on herself and doesn't matter if we go places or not she wants her shoes!