what are the best treatments for acute respiratory distress syndrome?

Son is in SICU being treated for this disease.

Favorite Answer

Sorry to hear about your son. ARDS has a generally good prognosis in the young though it depends on the cause. The treatment is mainly supportive with invasive mechanical ventilation (respirator). Contrary to the previous answer from the respiratory therapist, there is no one best mode for ARDS ventilation. The key principles are:

1 Low tidal volume ventilation (5-7 ml/kg of ideal body weight)

2 Permission of elevated levels of CO2

3 Weaning (lowering) inspired oxygen levels as soon as possible with goal of arterial oxygen level at or above 55 mm Hg

4 MUST TREAT THE UNDERLYING CAUSE OF ARDS

I do agree with the rotoprone bed in patients who are otherwise having oxygenation issues laying supine (on their back). Otherwise the bed makes nursing care more difficult.

In patients who it is difficult to provide adequate oxygen even despite giving 100% oxygen with the ventilator, alternative modes of ventilation such as high frequency oscillatory ventilation (superior to APRV in my opinion) can be used.

My general approach is to provide just enough oxygen to maintain adequate levels, provide adequate nutrition to meet needs but not excessive and be vigilant for complications such as pressure ulcers, opportunistic infections and finally, get the patient off the ventilator at the very earliest possible opportunity. If a pulmonologist/critical care specialist is not involved, I highly recommend it (my personal bias)

I hope everything works out well and hope that helps

Source(s): I am a pulmonologist

ARDS is difficult to manage in the later stages. The best way to treat ARDS is early prevention. Steroids are a common choice for physicians. Treatment of the underlying condition is key. What is causing the primary sickness? Treatment of ARDS sometimes requires the use of high doses of steroids to decrease inflammation of the lungs, and sometimes mechanical ventilation.

My experience in ICU shows that the use of a particular mode of ventilation is very good at treating ARDS. The mode is Airway Pressure Release Ventilation. Each brand of ventilators calls this something different (BiVent, APRV, Bilevel Ventilation {different than BiPap}). I also encourage the use of a RotoProne bed, which opens areas of the lungs that are typically hard to ventilate.

Source(s): Director of Respiratory Care Respiratory Consultant (current)

ARDS grownup respiration misery syndrome is on the subject rely of all those issues it incredibly is oftentimes led to by utilising some extreme rigidity or trauma. in the Vietnam days it became into stated as danang lung because of the fact some adult men might get it and the only clarification became into rigidity/stress/trauma/marvel led to by utilising what they observed in conflict. it incredibly is amazingly extreme circumstance requiring ventilator help ( lifesupport) until the underlying circumstances could properly be resolved ( do away with an infection,shrink rigidity,heal wounds) in many situations the main suitable efforts of a super scientific team and med equipment practice to be fruitless and the pt dies. I heavily pray this question is a hypothetical one, and not one that applys to you or a relatives member.

• N

I agree with Mr. Helpful who gave a very good answer (surprising to find that in this section!).

Supportive care and ventilatory support are the keys.

Hope things turn out well.

Source(s): PA surgical critical care. I work in an SICU.