Why do people think that the Confederate flag ALWAYS represents racism?

Update:

The Confederacy was right about a lot of other things, not including slavery.

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It does not always do this, just most of the time.

It is an historical symbol which has been co-opted by racist groups like the Klan and draws and understandable negative reaction from blacks.

Ask yourself this: Why do you always see the Confederate Battle Flag which is waved in our face byh the Klan. Why not the official flag of the Confederacy, the Stars and Bars which was flown over court houses and other government building?

Any student of the Civil War knows what I am talking about. This symbol is not nearly as offensive as the Battle Flag.

Source(s): Southerner. Obama 2012
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Monkin
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Because that's the way that they want to see it. And if you ask those same people about the history and the causes of the American Civil War, these same people will answer slavery, nobody in their right mind will deny or contradict you when you say, slavery was deleterious. But we mustn't forget that may of those that fought for the South were not fighting to defend the issue of slavery, but the issue of States Rights was what they were fighting for. I'm beginning to think that schools have stopped teaching all of the issues that caused the American Civil War (political correctness you know).

• Alex C
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

I think it is unfortunate that so many people connected to racist causes use it that is is automatically associated with racism. While I personally have no ties to the South or Confederacy, I can respect the basic idea of states' rights, just not the rebellion part.

In short, I think there are better ways to represent a belief in he rights of states, but flying the flag should not automatically mean labeling yourself as racist.

• 10 years ago

Hello ,

Because .. they .. hadn't yet looked up the symbolism behind the Confderate Flag/The Confederate Battle Flag/The Flag of the Army of Tenessee .... The flag was designed to represent Freedom of Speech . It wasn't until years later the flag was tarnished by no other than people wanting to destroy it's official use .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Because the confederacy was primarily about slavery. The use of its flag has always been primarily about racism.

You know that their declarations of secession included a complaint that the federal government wasn't forcing the northern states to return their property right?

http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/reasons.html

Might as well complain that Nazi Germany wasn't just about fascism and genocide or that Imperial Japan had numerous things going for it that didn't involve war crimes, genocide, and biological war fare.

• Jen
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

The Confederate flag is a graphic symbol of hatred and bigotry in our country. A sad chapter of slavery and secession in American history that shouldn't be treated as patriotism.

• 10 years ago

Because they have a narrow view of the Civil War. If the Civil War was to end slavery, then why did Lincoln not issue the Emancipation Proclomation until 2 yrs into the war?

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Some people are stuck on that mode and can only view life through a prism of race.

Plus most people take at face value their cursory exposure to American history and accept it as an absolute.

Trouble is of course that real history doesn't neatly fit into a either or paradigm.

• 10 years ago

The confederate flag is the shoe that fits.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Because the South seceded because of Slavery mainly. But the whole purpose was to represent a state's right to leave when it didn't like what was going on. If 84% of a State doesn't vote for Bush/Obama should they be forced to be under his governance? How is that Democracy? We need Direct Democracy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.