promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

1999 dodge dakota sport?

no a/c. replaced fuses,relays and cant get voltage to a/c compressor. it turns by hand so i dont think its siezed.

Update:

ok, rechecked with multimeter, wire to compressor reads resistance but wire from firewall has no voltage?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

if it got low on freon that will make it kick out and not come on,cross it over at the low pressure switch and see if the compressor comes on if it does its just low on freon,mine stopped working this year on my 01 dakota and it was a relay that made it stop working so check that also,its more than likely low on freon,the relay for the air is located under the hood in the relay center,good luck.

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 38 yrs now.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Is the winding in the clutch open? The clutch is an electromagnet. Like wrapping a wire around the nail. If the wire in the clutch is broken open the clutch wont work.

Buy a volt ohm meter. Unplug the connector to the clutch and Measure the resistance across the it. It shouldn't be open. While you have it unplugged, run two wires from the battery to the clutch and see if it pulls in. If it does you;ve elimintated that part of it.

Also many systems have a switch that shuts down the system if the pressure is low. Go buy a can of freon and charge the system. The clutch might start working then.

• 4 years ago

U have a short to grd. Get a schamatic of the fuse # that is blowing out the fuse.. Find out what componets are attached to it. And start disconnecting them one by one untill the fuse stops blowing. Recommend using a fuse breaker for this. So u don't have to keep buying new fuses. When u find it. Check the schamatic for wire color and tracer color. Use a volt meter or power prob. To conferm suspect cercuit. The window problem is not related to the ac system. So u better make sure that u check all the fuses. As for the engin (truck) There is no reason for the ac fuse to affect the starting system. Unless u are fimiliar with elect. Diagnosis. Take it to a shop.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.