Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 10 years ago

How far off the ground should a downspout for guttering be?

I just had seamless guttering installed on my house, and I'm not exactly impressed with the work. Even though the contractor was recommended by a friend. He left metal shrapnel all over the place and didn't clean up his mess in my yard. But in any event....

On the downspouts it looks to me like they are too high off the ground. Most gutters I've seen at other houses the downspouts come down and are just a couple inches off the ground, just enough to slide a runoff ramp underneath them.

On our gutters there is about a 10 to 12" gap between where the downspout ends to the ground, so the water has a foot to fall, which seems too high to me. Plus, it kind of looks funny.

So someone with more knowledge than me, please weigh in. Is 12" too high or am I just being picky? Thanks for all answers!

Favorite Answer

That depends...

If the land around your home is sloping away "nicely" then that seems a little high. But if the land around your home is very level, or pitched back TOWARDS the home, he has done you a favor. So often people put extensions on their downspouts that run up hill away from the home, as if the water coming out of the downspout is pressurized and will flow uphill. The 12" drop to the ground gives you the ability to add an extension that will actually work, flow downhill that is. I'd consider this before you complain to him.

By the way, diverting water from the base of the home, i.e. the foundation or slab, is what the gutters and downspouts are there for, keeping the base of the siding clean and dry is an additional benefit, but not the primary reason.

Source(s): 30 years carpentry and home repair.
  • Ranger

The down spout should be close enough to the ground that there isn't a splash to hit on the bottom of the house siding.

If the splash hits the house siding, why have a gutter and down spout, keeping the water off of the siding is what they are supposed to be doing.

If you are unhappy with his job, call him back and tell him to fix it.

• nosdda

The Down spouts should normally be about 4 inches off the ground. It they are about a foot from the ground, then they can be above your dampcourse of the wall and you can have dampness penetrating the wall.

Source(s): Plumber (UK)

sounds like he didnt want to buy another section of downspout for a few more inches of fall...have him add to it and put a 90 on it and another piece to run the water away from the house...