How far off the ground should a downspout for guttering be?

I just had seamless guttering installed on my house, and I'm not exactly impressed with the work. Even though the contractor was recommended by a friend. He left metal shrapnel all over the place and didn't clean up his mess in my yard. But in any event.... On the downspouts it looks to me like they are... show more I just had seamless guttering installed on my house, and I'm not exactly impressed with the work. Even though the contractor was recommended by a friend. He left metal shrapnel all over the place and didn't clean up his mess in my yard. But in any event....

On the downspouts it looks to me like they are too high off the ground. Most gutters I've seen at other houses the downspouts come down and are just a couple inches off the ground, just enough to slide a runoff ramp underneath them.

On our gutters there is about a 10 to 12" gap between where the downspout ends to the ground, so the water has a foot to fall, which seems too high to me. Plus, it kind of looks funny.

So someone with more knowledge than me, please weigh in. Is 12" too high or am I just being picky? Thanks for all answers!