promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

If you majored in Environmental engineering...?

What would you put on your resume since environmental is under the civil engineering branch. Would you put Environmental, or Civil Engineer? Or both?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You'd put whatever your actual degree is in. Environmental isn't necessarily under Civil, although the two are closely related. I find that more Bioengineers and Chemical engineers go into environmental engineering, especially the hazardous materials portion of it. It's actually its own thing now; just this year, my school started a Bachelor of Science Environmental Engineering program.

So if it says "Bachelor of Science, Environmental Engineering" on your degree, put that. Otherwise, it'd appear you'd be lying on your resume. If you are applying to a company that does structural stuff, you can only put that you've had experience in so and so with structural engineering in a cover letter. The biggest mistake you can do is to lie and say you're proficient in something and not be.

If you worked for a civil engineering firm (for example), make that explicitly clear somewhere in your resume - i.e., "proficient in so and so" (whatever you did within that company).

Source(s): Mech E studying Enviro E
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Double majoring usually does not help out at all, i recommend a mathematical biology pathway (limited math, mostly biology). You cannot go into an environmental program later in life without a lot of biology/environmental courses, and you will not have enough time to take all the courses required for both majors. They are pretty different, i.e. math is math, and environmental engineering is about as far from math as you could get in an engineering discipline. Having a math degree will still give you a lot of versatility, but any engineering degree would give you more in the world of engineering fields. That is to say, it is easier to transfer in grad school to a different engineering discipline, than it is to transfer in from a math discipline (you will need to take many courses to catch up).

• 1 decade ago

There are two types of environmental engineers.

A chemical environmental engineer and a civil environmental engineer

Which type did you study...u should know this.

If your degree says civil engineering put that but under it put concentration :environmental engneering

In your cover letter you can explain your interest in more detail.

Source(s): engineering student
  • cdaler
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Depends on where you are applying. I would put enviro, if I was applying for an environmental job, but civil for a water quality/ water resources job. But if unclear of what the company is looking for I would put the area you have the most expertise in so sounds like enviro...

Source(s): PE civil
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.