Dana1981 asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 10 years ago

New 1-year global temperature record has been set - I thought global warming stopped?

April 2009 – March 2010 is the hottest 12 month period on record in NASA GISS, with an average anomaly of 0.637°C. The previous record was tied between January–December 2005 and August 2006–July 2007, both at 0.621°C.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata/GLB.Ts...

Now, I keep hearing that global warming has stopped. How did the planet just set a new 12-month temperature record if that's true?

Favorite Answer

So in a year, after the El Nino has dissipated and temperatures are warmer than any comparable period but cooler than now, Monkton and the idiots will be saying that there's been no warming for a year. There is no end to how utterly stupid deniers can be in their fight to do nothing.

"I thought global warming stopped"

According to the scientifically illiterate, global warming has stopped. No scientist would assert that.

Kenny P. claims:

"That's odd, because in the US, 2009 was the ninth coldest year in the last 130 years? Go figure?"

It was actually above the 20th century average in the United States. Nice try.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/Fig.D.lrg...

And as Beren stated, the U.S. is a small fraction of the Earth's surface (< 2%).

The great irony of this topic is: If temperature changes are caused by human activity, it's most likely "voluntary" human activity and, "Stopping it will mean Forcing People to Do this and Not do that" which was tried in something we call "Prohibition".

Taxing carbon emissions simply means: Do what you do and the tiny # of people in "govt" will take even more money than before.

In most cases, that would be sad enough. But, given the stunning advances in the competitiveness of several alternatives* lately, there's a valid question of whether non-monetary govt incentives (and non-taxing discouragement) to speed up development of these technologies would give AGW-types far better long-term results than 'cap & tax'.

In other words, Get Govt Out Of Markets! Laws like those governing Intellectual property are minimally intrusive and optimally effective.

...

* many alternative-energy/fuel technologies are already competitive in certain markets (see links, below), some very promising technologies aren't yet competitive but need only reach economies of scale to become so, and, still others depend on completion - and perhaps, synthesis - of already proven pure science (such as the processes in termites use to convert cellulose to glucose so efficiently and quickly.)

...

Yah, I thought that global warming stopped because we had snow during the winter! Imagine that! I guess most of the world wasn't that snowy =)

[edit] Deniers focus on short-term weather patterns. If yesterdays temperature was 80 degrees, and todays temperatures is 60 degrees, they'd probably declare the the Earth had experienced massive cooling = ) To really understand global warming it is essential to look at the bigger picture. Temperatures will fluctuate from year to year. One cold winter doesn’t refute an overall warming trend.

Oh! For pity’s sake Dana. This is lies, damn, lies and statistics, and what’s more; you damn well know it, Dana, unless your I.Q. has dropped sharply recently.

Don’t sit there on your pulpit and preach to me that “The deniers are talking nonsense” and then come out with this rubbish.

No one is disputing that the world has been generally warming for the last several centuries, so no one should be surprised that we break the odd record now and again. So what?

Let’s cast our minds back 70 years to the end of the 1910 – 1940 warming period. We could have made exactly the same claims back then, and they would have meant what, exactly? That we were heading for some imminent catastrophe? Of course not! So why is it any more significant now?

Proof of warming, is *not* proof that man is causing it – again, as you well know.

So what is this question Dana? It’s blatant propaganda to fool the foolish and gullible, isn’t it? Oh yes! Well that’s me convinced by ‘proper’ science then. Not!

Don’t sit there and criticise what some of the sceptics come out with (which even I’ll admit I cringe at now and again) and then do exactly the same yourself.

You’re being a hypocrite again, Dana, and should be ashamed of yourself.

As ever with Global Warming - Don't believe the hype.

::EDIT::

Just to show how much nonsense Dana really is talking, I’ve just taken the time to do the same calculation using the HadCRUT3 variance adjusted dataset.

I only have data up to Feb 2010, but the 12 months to then comes out as...

Wait for it...

The 54th hottest 12-month period.

Current first is still Aug 1998. In fact, you’ve got to go back to 11th to get anything in the last 10 years (Apr 2004)

Other datasets?

UAH (Data to Feb 2010) : Current hottest: Oct 1998. Feb 2010: 18th (and that’s only because temps leapt almost 0.5⁰C between Dec 2009 and Jan 2010. Dec 2009 comes in 67th! LOL Got to look down to 13th to get anything in the last 10 years: Dec 2005.)

RSS MSU (Data to Mar 2010): Current hottest: Dec 1998. Mar 2010: 23rd (Dec 2005 first entry within the last 10 years, at: 12th.)

So where does that leave us? With Dana cherry-picking his data, it appears. And there was me thinking that it was only the sceptics who did that.

<shakes his head in utter disbelief and exits the room muttering to himself>

• Eric c

Temperatures have remained stable since 2002. A twelve month record temperature in only one of the four temperature data sets does not mean anything. In the other three 1998 is still significantly ahead of this year. In a previous question on mine you stated:

"It's like a game of tug-of-war where one side is kicking the other side's butt. So briefly I join the losing side, and slow the movement of the rope. But I'm not a long-term player, and as soon as I let go, the rope will accelerate away. You're arguing that I've stabilized the movement so the other side isn't much stronger anymore. It's only true as long as I keep pulling, but I'm not going to keep pulling."

The problem with that analogy is that greenhouse gases are increasing faster than expected. So you have added another player to your side, and you are still losing. This year we had a major El Nino. This has briefly risen temperatures. Some people have predicted a La Nina by the end of the year. If that occurs temperature will fall again.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Atk6q...

I personally do not believe that global warming has stopped. However, there are natural fluctuations in the temperature of the globe. Consider the ice ages, and the melting of the ice ages. Clearly, that was not caused by human activity. In any case, I think that as long as the population increases, and we continue to live in such a un-natural way global warming will continue to become a problem.

Mary: personal belief has noting to do with it. Hotter is hotter; hotter in the absence of solar forcing is hotter for some other reason, and CO2 from fossil fuel burning is the only reason credible.

• how can this be with all the hybrid vehicles on the road now and all the solar panels. did everone inflate thier car tires like obama told them to? maybe thats why

• beren

That's odd, I always thought that the US and the globe were the same thing. Apparently they are not. Go Figure?