Writer's nightmare (at least mine): synonyms for "suddenly"?

I need other words for "suddenly", since I have repeated it numerous times in my short story. I don't want anything copied from the thesaurus, please. I want something that would flow naturally in the story.

Favorite Answer

abruptly

all of a sudden

out of the blue

quickly

in a flash

in a heartbeat

just then

just as _______

Synonyms For Suddenly

Suddenly Synonym

Abruptly,

Without warning,

In a flash,

In a heartbeat,

Moments later,...

OR, you could have the event happen first, thus forcing the reader to sit up and go, "What'd I miss?"

This makes the event seem sudden without using the word "suddenly":

The old professor limped into his law library. Everything creaked. His wooden cane creaked on wooden floorboards that also creaked. When he eased himself into his padded leather chair, it creaked. Its wheels creaked on the floor at the same time. Sometimes, on overcast days, his top drawer creaked when he opened it. To him, the surest sign of old age was the feeling that one

was surrounded by creaks.

The shotgun blast tore through the window so suddenly that the thought "What in hell---" was never completed in the old man's head. Buckshot tore through him, searing his last moments in agony. The last thing he heard was the shower of falling glass as he slumped over in his chair.

• Ruby

Just then, unanticipatedly, on the spur of a moment, all of a sudden, without warning. Good luck, I know how annoying it can be when you have used a word numerous times; especially when there's not many good synonyms!

Hm. Well, without knowing the story, I can make the following suggestions:

abruptly

without warning

in an instant (or in that instant)

instantly

all of a sudden

in a flash

in a twinkling

like a shot

like a bolt from the blue

in less time than it takes to say it

magically (or almost magically)

in a snap

quickly

like lightning (or like a flash of lightning)

with amazing speed

swiftly

like a rocket

Those are pretty good for general purposes. If you still have too many "suddenlys", try approaching the scene from a different angle; starting with scent or sound instead of vision, for example, or focusing on the reaction instead of the action.

Source(s): Writing experience.

The best thing to replace it with is nothing at all. Try to use a verb which indicates the suddenness instead.

For instance.

Suddenly, he came in.

He burst through the door.

He rushed into the room.

I jumped three feet in the air as he appeared.

Show, not tell. "Suddenly" is telling.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): writer 39 nightmare synonyms quot suddenly quot: https://tr.im/nPbzg
  • Bink

writernightmare synonyms suddenly

I suggest you take it out entirely. It's weak writing. I know it's tempting to use - I use it myself in my own writing. But I try to edit all (or at least, most) of them out when I rewrite.