Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 10 years ago

Better anti-virus: Norton or Kaspersky?

New laptop has Norton on it, but I received a free 6-month edition of Kaspersky. Problem is the Kaspersky one requires me to uninstall Norton.

Which one is better?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

Kaspersky as an anti-virus is excellent. It's detection methods are much superior to Norton. Norton's database uses an exact copy of the viruses to cross check against with the files on your computer whereas kaspersky uses a method which looks for characteristic parts in the code which can be used to identify a virus.

But Kaspersky's real-time protection is very memory-hogging. I've tried it and it eats away your RAM like crazy. Norton is pretty good for everyday use, but on my comp with 256 MB RAM, I had to chuck it in favour of PC-Cillin which though is not as good as Norton, it uses less memory and it gets the job done.

Why don't you try out one of the free anti-viruses available like AVG or something? Try googling and see if you can find any. I've never tried any of them, but if they do their job well, you can save some money.

Thanks,

Alexa

• 3 years ago

Kaspersky Vs Norton

• Ed G
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Those are both very good programs. Picking one as better over the other can simply be users choice. Norton has a higher overall detection and removal rate. But Kaspersky has better proactive protection. If picking between Norton anti-virus and Kaspersky anti-virus it's a very close call. If picking between the Internet Security Suites then Norton would be my pick. Norton's ease of use and smart firewall are hard to beat. It also does a better job with rootkits. Kaspersky Internet Security has a great feature which allows you to run a program like your browser in a sandbox. Very strong protection when browsing the internet. If you use it. Norton also runs lighter than Kaspersky.

Both of those programs are very good. Pick the one that has more time on the subscription

• Gustav
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Which Anti-Virus Is Better, Norton Or Kaspersky, or Other? See -- https://reimagefix.im

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • XRON
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

I use Kaspersky and find it very good.

If you have norton preinstalled then I suggest you stick to it.

After it expires you can go on with the Kaspersky one for another 6 months. Afterall they are giving you a 6 months subscription, the subscription wont expire until used.

So, Norton it is for now. Kaspersky later.

Source(s): me me
  • 10 years ago

Spend some money and get PC_cillin from trendmicro is the best! I haven't had a virus in 6 years. That's because I have tried all the rest. Take it from me, it is cheaper than buying a new computer.

A rule of thumb: do not open emails from unknowns. If family or friends sends out emails and the email says "forward this to ten friends" it has a tracker built into it, and the results will be more spam. If you are dowloading from news groups, it is good to have a top notch virus program that scans immediately after download. Sometimes the virus doesn't emerge until you open it. Then its good to have a virus program that scans and quarantees the virus so you can delete it.

Here's my conspiracy theory: virus are made by the companies that make virus protection software so they can test their software in the real world. Then of course there are those who walk among us, breed occasionally and come with ways to send our computers (hard drives) to the trash.

Trendmicro has been around for a long long time. Most IT professionals use the program to guard mainframes. Once upon a time they had a plug in device which was the serail number that identified it as the correct version. Thankfully they do not need to do that anymore.

Hope this helps the debate!

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Kaspersky

Kaspersky Anti-Virus cumul 06.08 is a Antivirus Software product from kaspersky.com, get 5 Stars SoftSea Rating, Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal secures your PC against viruses and Trojans, as well as adware, spyware and other malware. It also scans your incoming and outgoing mail in real-time, offers real-time protection and on-demand scanning.

• 10 years ago

Norton is the only one that I know of that updates daily and also offers a computer replacement guarantee if it fails to perform as advertised. You have to follow Norton's guidelines to get this guarantee but I have been using Norton for over 10 years and NEVER had a virus get through.

Source(s): 20 years as a computer tech
  • 10 years ago

Kaspersky

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010(http://www.globalshareware.com/Utilities/Antivirus... is the most trusted virus and spyware protection - premium protection against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, bots and more. Also includes comprehensive phishing and identity theft defense and superfast performance.

Also i use Kaspersky , it is actually excellent!

• 10 years ago

Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 The Best

the most trusted virus and spyware protection - premium protection against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, bots and more.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.