What video format works on final cut pro for a mac computer?

i took some footage on a video camera, transferred the footage onto my windows 7 laptop, and put it on a flash drive to take to school. I then deleted the files from my camera and can't get them back on (i tried). The files are in MOD format but that doesn't work on final cut or a mac. I tried to convert... show more i took some footage on a video camera, transferred the footage onto my windows 7 laptop, and put it on a flash drive to take to school. I then deleted the files from my camera and can't get them back on (i tried). The files are in MOD format but that doesn't work on final cut or a mac. I tried to convert it to mov, but the program i have (the only free one i could find) doesn't convert to mov. i tried converting it to mpeg, but that also didn't work. what format can i put it in so that it works on final cut and a mac?