can I use a steam cleaner to remove painted wallpaper?

I am moving into my first home soon and one room there has painted wallpapers. I want to remove them and paint the walls. Now, I also was thinking about buying a steam cleaner. Could I possibly use a steam cleaner instead of a wallpaper steamer to soak wallpapers and remove them? I am just truing to save every penny now...

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Not exactly sure how your steam cleaner works and if it will lay flat enough on the wallpaper to get steam to it. They make relatively cheap steam producers just for removing wallpaper. However, if you are dead set on using your steam cleaner, go ahead and try. Buy a wallpaper scorer--it looks kind of like a colored hockey puck, but on the bottom are some toothed "wheels" that you hold up to the wall, and move the scorer back and forth in circular patterns. This breaks the paint barrier and also the paper just a bit, to allow the steam to work its way into the newly cut edges. If you get paper wet and it begins to come off, but stubbornly, keep working on it but use a plastic scraper, not a metal scraper.

And, if you have drywall for walls, be very careful not to get it too wet nor scrape too hard at an angle. Doing that will break up the drywall outer paper cover and you will have some real problems then.

I have not had good luck with commercially purchased wallpaper remover that you either spray or roll on. You have to get past the paint anyway. Good luck.

Source(s): House flipper for six years.

Remove Wallpaper With Steam

• Elaine

A good idea I heard that works weel if yiou use a water based paint is to pour in some household bleach into the paint, Stir it into the paint & then paint the walls as it stops any mould seeping through the painterd area. You can also apply a base sealing paint to stop any moiseure seeping through the paint, once completed. I'df be inclinded to do both before applying the final top coat. Cheers!!

yes