Johnny
Johnny asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Questions for movie buffs, or anyone who knows about movies....?

What does this mean in the credits of a film, ( also, in the IMDB.com database )

Say there's an actor called John Smith playing a fictional character called Bob in a film. sometimes his credits will look like this:

John Smith as Bob ( As John Smith )

Why is the " ( As John Smith ) " there? what does it mean?

I've always wondered this, if you could explain it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

• Jules
    Favorite Answer

Sometimes actors change their stage names.

So maybe it will say: John Smith as Bob (as Johnny Smith)

Meaning that the actor we know as John Smith will show up on the credits as Johnny Smith. Because he used to go as Johnny, but doesn't anymore.

Like Holly Robinson Peete. That's her name now. But on 21 Jump Street, the credits say Holly Robinson. That was her name then.

The example you give is not a good one.

You would never see

John Smith as Bob (As John Smith)

You might however see, for example

John Smith as Bob (As John Smyth)

Which means the actor commonly known as John Smith, but credited as John Smyth in the production, played the character referred to as Bob.

However it would be more usual to see this as

John Smith as Bob (Credited as John Smyth)

Sometimes the names can be completely different, either because the person does not want their name to be recognised in the credits, or because they have changed their name for whatever reason.

• meL

Sometimes actors go by a few different names.. Usually all close sounding to eachother. Like sometimes with a middle name, or sometimes without.. Similar to singers who use band names, for instance Marilyn Manson's real name is Brian Warner. Or how authors use fake names when writing a book also. I'll try to find an example for you.

Here, look at Christa Miller's IMDb page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0588096/

She has a part that says:

Alternate Names:

Christa Miller Lawrence

I think it has to do with how his name is listed in the credits. It happens when an actor uses his/her name differently for a film, for instance, using their middle name or not. (I just tried to find an example on another site but couldn't! Sorry.)

• Toni

I think it means its either based off of himself, or I know sometimes it means he just played himself.