Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

New to kayaking looking for information?

Just looking to see if anyone wants to offer any suggestions on the type of kayak I should buy or what I should be looking for. I would prefer a 2 person setup and one that would be best suited for half day - day trips and one for speed (if that is even an option). Also do I really need to take a training class? I know how to paddle a row boat, would I learn anymore in the class than that? Anyway thanks for your help... all I know about kayaks is how to spell it so any insight would be appreciated. Location: Houston

Favorite Answer

The day is beautiful with no boats on the crystal clear lake. Life is good as you paddle across the lake. Then out of nowhere a fish hits you in the side of the head and flips you. How are you going to get back in the kayak? That is one of the hundreds of things that you will learn in the class.

Speed is a trade off with stability. If you want to go fast, it will be a little tippy. Cost is also a trade off for speed. Light boats are more expensive.

Look up local paddling clubs to see if they have any used boats for sale. Used boats are a lot cheaper than new boats.

Most clubs offer ACA certified classes much cheaper than stores or full time organizations.

Take a look at Boatertalk.com

Think about the tandem part of your request carefully. HINT!!! Tandem kayaks can be very fast. Divorce. Doing things together is fun. Solo. :-)

Source(s): www.gapaddle.com

Either

1) go on a couple beginner group trips with a guide

or

2) rent from a biggish shop - most will give you a short intro, get you started, and credit rentals toward a future purchase.

or

3) buy a cheap, big, stable boat, and get out on "small" water - protected, quiet, with lots of people around - and get some experience

or

4) - best - All three, above.

Until you get some experience under your belt, you can't possibly make a good decision. Anybody who tells you otherwise has something to sell you...

And - ALWAYS wear you life jacket.

You need a class. Look for an American Canoe Association certified instructor. You can take a short intro clinic and may learn something that will save your life. Safety begins with mindset. You may also learn what boat suits you, cool places to go, how not to look like you don't know what you're doing. Seriously though, be safe!