M.
M. asked in PetsBirds · 10 years ago

Can birds get allergies?

When the weather is nice, I often take my bird's cage outside (the cage door is closed, of course) so they can enjoy the fresh air. It's been a freakishly warm April, so I did this last Thursday and, ever since, my 9-year-old budgerigar has been breathing heavily and sneezing constantly. Her behavior, however, is completely normal. She's not sitting in a corner fluffed up and sickly; she's running around, cheeping at the top of her lungs, and taking baths in her water bowl. She does not appear cold or fluffed at all (I actually put a heater near her cage thinking that she might have chills, and she moved away from it almost immediately). Her stool is normal.

Is it possible that pollen or other irritants in the air could have caused this in her? I was very worried when I first noticed her breathing late Friday afternoon (too late to call the vet), but other than the sneezing and her labored breathing, she appears perfectly normal. If it is not allergies, does anyone know what else it could be?

Thank you, Budgie+Dogs, and thank you, Gertie. I took my budgie to the vet yesterday. He didn't seem too concerned for the same reason that I wasn't extremely concerned - other than the breathing and the sneezing, she's fine. We've started her on Baytril and my vet says we can come back in 2 weeks if she doesn't improve.

I'm sorry, not Gertie, Girtie.

Favorite Answer

I don't think it is allergies either, but it could be something irritating her nose or throat such as dust or something like that, not necessarily allergies. If it keeps happening, take her to the vet to be sure. I have chickens and after they eat really fast, sometimes they sneeze with a high pitched squeak, this results from a seed being stuck to their throat and they cant swallow it, they sometimes gasp for air, but they are fine after they take a drink. Also they breathe heavily if they can't breathe thought their nose, if it gets clogged with dirt or something, so you can just clean it out with water or something.

I hope this helps and good luck with your bird!

I do not think that individual birds have allergies, though it could be possible. I would contact your vet with a call and ask for an appointment, she may have inhaled something too small for the human eye to see.

Budgies, however, are allergic to some type of foods, such as avacoda, which makes it very deadly for birds.

I hope that helped, and good luck.