Can someone help edit my essay :) (L)?

Hi i just wrote a paper on Hamlet and the themes Corruption, decay and waste.

I was just wondering if someone coud edit it for me.. It is a super rough copy but sometimes i need that little help to get me on track

In many of Shakespeare’s plays there has been multiple of different hidden themes that have been discovered throughout his plays. Usually his plays all have some sort of theme relating to death of some sort. With Hamlet, Shakespeare develops the theme of both physical and psychological decay, waste and lastly corruption. Hamlet portrays these themes by the action of dialogues, figurative language of the characters and many other ways (2004). In Hamlet there is the waste of one’s life, the decaying of the world and the corruption of spying. All of these themes are extremely important throughout the play and they help correspond with the plot perfectly.

Throughout the play there is evidence of the theme waste. It is not necessarily the waste as in garbage and/or litter it is in fact the waste on one’s life; Ophelia’s life to be exact. Ophelia drowns herself, which we learn from the Queen whose informing Ophelia’s brother Laertes, “One woe death tread upon another’s heel,/ So fast they follow. Your sister’s drown’d, Laertes” (4.7.163-164). The quotation is talking about how another person has died very close to the last one; everyone seems to be “following”. This quote is an example of waste of one’s life. Here Ophelia is being used by everyone around her, and she is “drowning” in everyone’s demands. She could no longer withstand everyone’s expectations that all she could do was to die by killing herself.

The next theme that was portrayed throughout the play was decay, both physical and psychological. Hamlet is able to come to a conclusion that the world “’Tis an unweeded garden/ That grows to seed. Things rank and gross in nature/ Possess it merely” (1.2. 135-137). This quotation uses the description of an unweeded garden to uphold the idea that the world itself is decaying. The weeds in the decaying world seem to symbolize evil and sin (2006). In the quote when he say’s “things” that rank and gross in nature seem to represent humanity in general (2006). While humanity is acting as a catalyst to the ultimate domination of sin and corruption. In other words, humans are the ones who start and continue the domination of sin and corruption. That is exactly what has happened in Hamlet, King Claudius, who is the evil in the play and then his sin which is the murder of Old Hamlet. Technically Claudius has become a weed that has disturbed the world causing it to slowly decay. Another example of decay would be when Laertes is talking to Ophelia about her virginity.

The canker galls the infants of the spring

Too oft before their buttons be disclosed,

And, in the morn and liquid dew of youth

Contagious blastments are most imminent. (1.3.39-42)

Here Laertes it trying to persuade Ophelia that she should not give her virginity to Hamlet. In the quotation the cankerworm destroys the young buds of flowers, preventing them from continuing to blossom (2006). What he means is that Hamlet is considered to be the cankerworm, and once he has taken her virginity (destroying the young buds of flowers) she will no longer be able to “blossom” or in other words continue to truly live her life. Now although, flowers do eventually wither and die, the cankerworm is just a way that would quicken the process of corruption and decay. So by saving her virginity she will lessen the chance of corruption and decay.

Finally the next notable theme in play is corruption. Corruption is one of the most important themes throughout the play because there are so many styles of corruption that we introduced. For instance there was the corruption of poison, spying, murder and mental decay. An example of one of the corruptions styles would be of spying. Throughout the whole play everyone is spying on each other, and most of them happen to be spying on Hamlet. One of the first incidents of corruption of spying would be when the King asks Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to spy on Hamlet and see why he is acting as strange as he is or as Claudius says “of Hamlets ‘transformation’ (2.2.5).

That you vouchsafe your rest here in our court

Some little time, so by your companies

To draw him on to pleasures and to gather,

So much as from occasion you may glean,

Whether aught, to us unknown afflicts him thus

That, open’d, lies within our remedy. (2.2.13-18)

This quotation proves the corruption of spying. Claudius cannot stand that he doesn’t know why Hamlet is acting the way he is, so he has to corrupt Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to spy for him. The way that he achieves this is because he knows that they are close with Hamlet and most likely Hamlet will confide in them more than he would with him. Claudius knows how to corrupt people and to persuade them do what he wants. For example he even got Ophelia

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

http://www.neopets.com/~hereinyourarmsx

Yahoo would not let me submit it here, and I couldn't find a thing where you upload it online, so.. yeah.. neopets. Haha. (Oh, and it would not let me say 'virginity'. ~~~~ is the substitute for it.)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.