? asked in Science & MathematicsAgriculture · 1 decade ago

What jobs can you get from a degree in animal management?

without owning your own farm or land, what well-paid jobs are there out there which can be got with a degree in animal management? im thinking breeding cattle is what i want to do is it possible to get started in this without land or a farm already?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

become a farm manager. You don't own the livestock but you manage the operations with a salary. Usually for large farms or absentee owners.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Not really, especially if you want to manage your own herd the way you'd like to, with a particular breed or breeds that you want to start with. When you have your own land, you can have a breeding herd of cattle and manage it anyway you like, choose the females you want, feed/graze them the way you want, etc.

In your other question, the jobs I did mention were either working for an AI (artificial insemination) company of your choice, should the choose to accept you, working for another farmer or rancher, or doing a cow-lease agreement with another farmer or rancher. Any other jobs that include working with cattle that are a bit more unrelated to your area of interest include

1) work for a large-animal veterinarian

2) be a custom-grazer (similar to the cow-lease agreement only this is more short-term)

3) work in a stock-yard where they process and sell cattle through auction

4) work at a feedlot

5) work for a dairy operation

Other than that, there are no well-paid jobs that will pay you over $30/hr and include a 9-5 workday with benefits and weekends and holidays off. If you want a well-paid job, go work in a bank, or at a accountant or lawyer's office, or any other white-collar career opportunities.

The way the world works is that the hardest and dirtiest work often pays the lowest. I know there are acceptions, but that all depends on where the dirty jobs are, particularly urban vs. rural areas. Working at a farm won't give you much pay, unless you're really lucky and come up with a job at a rich lawyer's cattle ranch.

But if you should decide to purchase some land and raise a cow-calf herd yourself, go right ahead. We can never have too much food, and the farming community is in desparate need for folks like you to keep farming alive and to help put food on the table.

Source(s): Common sense and personal experience Worked and lived on a farm all my life and seen the ups and downs and financial burdens of it all Experience from talking and sharing knowledge with other farmers.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.