Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Has John McCain sold his soul for the Presidency?

I used to like this guy a lot, and if the John McCain of 2000 was running I'd vote for him in an instant. But now he's kissing the feet of groups he used to shun, he picked a running mate with whom he largely disagrees on ideology (at least IMHO), and it looks like he's going viciously negative (and dishonest) in his campaing ads.

It's really distressing to me when a guy I thought had a higher degree of integrity and honor turns out to be just another typical politician.

Best Answer

When John McCain was a true moderate and believed strongly in campaign reform, I liked him too. He seemed strong in his convictions and I got the impression that he tried his best to fix one of the most corrupt parts or our political process--money grubbing from rich folks and corporations during elections.

This round, McCain has been pandering to all the special interests like the desperate man that he has become. I think he was chosen as the Republican candidate because he is expendable with no real political future. Some others running in the primary have a future. His current campaign reminds me of a poorly written play about what is wrong with our political process. His choice for vice president was based on shock and awe instead of what is best for the country. The sad part for me is to watch all the folks being swept away by the wave of crap McCain and Palin are spreading. Looks like Rove is back in the drivers seat. I have always wanted to think the American public was smarter than that. Palin has not given any interviews that might give us a view into the real person. A performance where a speech you didn't write is presented is not telling us anything about this person in reality.

Perhaps the worst part of the whole carnival act is the way it has taken the campaign away from the real issues Americans face. I hope we get back to issues like energy, education, health care, the economy in general, the war and foreign policy, jobs and taxes, global warming, and others that are critical to our survival.

I believe Senator McCain is old and desperate. He might see this as his last big chance to make a mark. What he is doing right now is a black smug compared to the honorable marks he made with his military service and his efforts to reform the way campaigns are financed. Too bad his real accomplishment weren't enough for him to live with.

I was resigned to accept his election, if need be (another 4 years of Republican stagnation), but he has become nasty and has hired Carl Rove for his campaign (or has finally admitted that he’s on the payroll). This puts us right back to the Bush years (ambushing Kerry) and I’m afraid that his negative campaigning is working because people want to believe the worst about Obama. How about the issues, people? How many more years do you think we will be in Iraq with him as president? This latest sell-out to the right wing of the party, Sarah Palin, whose views are dangerous, is the last straw. She’s one heartbeat away from the presidency! How cynical and reckless this decision is. Does that mean he would go to war in an instant if he loses his temper? I’m afraid so, since he’s already made noises at Russia over Georgia, and he said, "bomb, bomb, bomb, Iran" on the campaign trail. I’m not only disappointed with him, I’m alarmed now with the prospect of his election.

At this evaluate time McCain has turn flop on ever project he stands for. the biggest component I even have with is turn flopping is help for Torture. He did not vote against battling torture final week. i've got self assurance McCain will say and do something to become President. Even lie suitable to the armed forces occupation of Iraq.

I agree. I wanted McCain for president in 2000 and would have voted for him in 2008 if he had not allowed the selection of Palin are his running mate. He has become a part of the GOP Borg and it is very sad. The GOP once embraced all ideologies, now they only want 100% conservatives, which is a shame.

Ex-Republican 1967-2000.

McCain has always had a very cutting sarcastic side that he needs to keep in check, but I like it myself, I get it, so it doesn't bother me. I'd rather hear it straight out than candy-coated, but that's just me - I like the truth, in whatever package it comes. I understand if others don't care for it.

He's actually a very bright man with an IQ beyond his report card and above average intelligent folks often come off as a bit different, frustrated at times. Intelligent people are no longer wanted in politics, manipulators are.

Look carefully at the campaign he ran during the primaries - very different than the presidential campaign. I was very disappointed in the GOP's handling of his campaign. It was cheesy and contrived.

Remember during the primaries when his finance manager basically ripped him off and he had nothing? The little known story I saw & read, that the media would not put out there, is that he didn't turn to his wife's money, he bought a coach class airplane ticket to NH, was met by some low level campaigner at the airport, and he hit the streets on foot to go on to win the primaries. But you didn't hear about that. Nor did anyone realize that Bush's people were actively sabotaging his campaign, McCain openly criticized both Bushes where he didn't agree over the years, yet he got lumped in with Bush, and people bought it.

Remember the ads of the primaries? Do you recall how they got nasty and changed after the GOP took over? Do you think he really picked Sarah Palin? His reputation has been to reach across the party lines and work with moderates, she was not his style, they were trying to play up the "Maverick" where I think they should have stuck to his intelligence & voting record. I was hoping for a two party ticket (Lincoln was the only president to win with a two party ticket), I think Obama scooped up Biden to prevent that from happening. A McCain/Biden ticket made more sense to me than Obama/Biden. Joe Lieberman might have been a good VP.

Obama had his kids out in front of the cameras 24/7, while MCCain chose not to - it is a little known fact that he & his wife have a child of color they adopted in 1991, yet he didn't flaunt her in front of the country. I wish he had stated "judge me by the content of my character, not by the color of my skin." But he stuck to his principles and protected his daughter.

Doing the "right" thing and sticking to your principles doesn't fly in this society. People are so accustomed to lying that they assume everything is fiction. It's like when you go to court, each side exaggerates their story, everyone knows it, so they split Solomon's baby as standard procedure. Truth is lost in this society, being real isn't important anymore, whereas the IMAGE of reality is far more credible to suckers.

So maybe he's had it - honesty & principles don't work and he's trying to fight fire with fire. Insanity is going at the same issue the same way over and over without changing your strategy, getting the same results.

Can you give some examples of the campaign you are referring to?

Whether we like or dislike McCain, I wouldn't call him a "typical" anything. I'm not enrolled in a party, I'm not a sheep and the circumstances change from election to election, yet I think folks like Bob Dole, John McCain, & Joe Lieberman were major losses to this country's leadership and in finding common ground. But they are intelligent thinkers, and as we know, voters don't use intelligence for the most part, but emotion. Too many victims of their last speakers in those booths.

Yeah, maybe's McCain's had it. I don't blame him. He wants to serve his country, he's earned the right to have an opinion, and perhaps he's fighting fire with fire just to stay in the game.

That is the problem with politicians. I like my House representative. But then I force myself to remember all the spending bills he voted for when it had the GOP stamp on it. I will vote against him in the primaries. But if he wins the primary, I'm pretty much stuck with voting for him in November.

My two Senators, you can have those clowns. I vote against them every primary, and of course, in November I have to vote for them or some liberal lubber.

• Raatz

Yep. His soul jumped the shark somewhere around 2004. Then he started supporting torture and picked Palin as his coup de grâce. I almost feel sorry for him, cuz you know it's made him miserable. You can see it in his eyes. He sold his soul to win the Presidency and it didn't even work.

I don't know about selling his soul, but he did a lot of compromising, which explains his longevity in Congress. It's up to his district whether he stays in Congress or not. His running mate in the presidential election garnered more votes for him than he would have received had he not chosen her. His campaign manager even conceded that.

When the going gets rough, then a man's true nature is revealed. Mccain always has been a weazel in government.

He did a foolish thing..He BELIEVED OBAMA when Obama said he was for America..

He KNOWS better now.

The surprise was not in McCain's support for the closure of Gitmo -- he has been an outspoken voice on that subject -- but in the Arizona senator's decision to come out so publicly in support of Obama on day two of the new Administration.

The move suggests that McCain views himself as a bridge between the Democratic president and Republicans in Congress and a major player in the expected fights over passage of Obama's agenda.

"When there is agreement between the two, President Obama will have no greater ally," said John Weaver, a longtime political adviser to McCain. "The John McCain of today is the John McCain who could have made the [presidential] race closer. The country is in a mood to get things accomplished and problems solved and John has clearly embraced that spirit."

Obama seems thrilled at the prospect of McCain as an ally, lavishly praising him during a dinner on Monday thrown in honor of the Arizona senator. "Each of us has the responsibility to usher in a new season of cooperation," Obama said of his one-time foe.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/cheat-shee...