1.Group the following electron configurations in pairs that would represent elements with similar chemical properties.
a.(a) and (d), (b) and (c), (e) and (f) form groups
b.(a) and (c), (b) and (f), (d) and (e) form groups
c.(a) and (d), (b) and (f), (c) and (e) form groups
d.(a) and (f), (b) and (d), (c) and (e) form groups
2.Which of the following species are isoelectronic with each other? (Select all that apply.)
a. C and Ar
b. C and Ge2+
c. B- and Cl -
d. Mn2+ and Fe3+
e. Ar and Ge2+
f. Zn and B-
g. C and B-
h. Ar and Cl -
i. Zn and Ge2+
j. Zn and Cl -
k. C and Mn2+
l. B- and Fe3+
3.Which of the following is the electronic configuration for a chlorine atom?
a.1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p4
b.1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p5
c.1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p5
d.1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6
4.What would be the charge on the ion formed by a chlorine atom?
5.The electronic configuration for the element having atomic number (Z) = 35 is
a.1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p5
b.1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 4p5
c.1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p5
d.1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d5
6.Which of the elements below has the lowest ionization energy?
- 六呎將軍Lv 710 years agoBest Answer
1) Both (a) and (d) belong to group II
Both (b) and (f) belong to group V
Both (c) and (e) belong to group 0
So the pairs above have the similar chemical properties.
2) (d) Both having 23 electrons
(g) Both having 6 electrons
(h) Both having 18 electrons
(i) Both having 30 electrons
3) 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p5, giving a total of 17 electrons
4) 1- since Cl- attains a noble gas structure which is expected to be the most stable among all other choices.
5) 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s2 3d10 4p5, giving a total of 35 electrons
6) Both K and Na have appreciably low first I.E. since their +1 ions will attain a noble gas structure. However, since K has its outermost shell electron being far away from the nucleus than Na, its I.E. will be the lowest.Source(s): Myself