NITWIG
NITWIG asked in SportsFootball (American) · 10 years ago

What is your most disappointing moment as a fan?

As a Raider fan there have been a lot in the last 7 years but these are my Top 3.

1. Super Bowl 37 (Tampa Bay 48 Raiders 21) After a great season the Raiders get embarrassed in the SB. It was a real downer to what had been an exciting year with a great offense and a solid defense. I still wonder what would have happened if All Pro Center Barrett Robbins hadn't melted down during the week & played in the game. Yes, I believe Tampa would have won anyway because John Gruden knew Oakland offense like the back of his hand but I think the game would have been much more competetive.

2. AFC Title game 1977 (Denver 20 Raiders 17) Some of you younger fans might not remeber this one but the Raiders were defending SB champs & went into Mile High to play the Broncos for the right to go the SB. In the 3rd qtr the Broncos were leading 7-3 & were at the Raider 2 yd line when Broncos FB Rob Lytle fumbled after a hit from Jack Tatum. The ball was picked up by a Raider LB who was running for a TD when the refs blew the play dead saying "no fumble". Every replay showed it was a fumble & Lytle himself later admitted that it was and he got lucky. The Broncos went on to score and win the game. Only time after a Raider game that I acutally cried. I was 13 years old & it still bugs me to this day.

3. AFC title game 2000 (Baltimore 16 Raiders 3) Raiders had offensively challenged Baltimore backed up at their own 1 yd line in the 2nd qtr when DB Anthony Dorsett took a horrible angle (most Raider fans have never forgiven him) on a short pass to TE Shannon Sharpe and let him get away for a 99 yd TD. Later Tony Siragusa rolls his 350 LBS onto Rich Gannon throwing in a forearm for good measure, separates his shoulder & knocks him out of the game & the Raiders chances are toast at that point. To be fair however Baltimore probably wins this game anyway because of their great defense. They were nearly invincible that year.

You may wonder where is the "tuck rule" game or the "immaculate reception" game". I watched the "immaculate reception" game" but I was only 7 & too young to really appreciate what was going on & as for the "tuck rule" game I missed the whole 2nd half cuz of a previous engagement so I found out later what had happened.

Favorite Answer

When the Baltimore Colts cowardly crept out of town under the cover of darkness and a snowstorm and whored themselves out to Indianapolis.

I guess it would be John Carney's missing the extra point kick after the "River City Relay" play by the Saints in December 2003. I really didn't feel that they deserved to get into the play-offs anyway that year since I hate it when a team has a really mediocre season and then slip into the play-offs by the skin of their teeth but they pulled off a beautiful miracle play in that game that would have given them a shot to win and go into the play-offs and John Carney who is usually automatic on any kick inside the 40 blows the extra-point.

I was also very disappointed when the Bears beat the Saints a couple of years ago when they also would have had a chance to play the Colts in that years superbowl. I had to put in lots of overtime at work and missed the game, but I didn't realize till I got home that my boss had pretty much done me a favor by making me miss that game.

Its kind of a distant memory now but still pain-full was watching their playoff loss to the Eagles in 1992 when they had gotten off to a 20-7 lead, it took them a pretty long time to get to the playoffs again after that one.

I feel your pain since I am a die hard Raider fan also. Another disappointing moment was when Bo Jackson suffered a career ending injury when Tim Krumrie of the Bengals pulled his leg out of his hip socket. Bo was so strong & unstoppable and that injury pretty much ended what might have been another Super Bowl for the Raiders.

Losing to the Eagles in round 2 a year after winning the Superbowl.

1. Nate Kaeding choking 3 times with the Jets

2. Nate Kaeding missing the game winning field goal in the playoffs almost have us defeat the 18-1 patriots

My most disappointing moment as a Cleveland Browns fan came in 1995 when, Art Modell (the rat fink) moved the Browns to Baltimore and they became the Ravens...This was after saying he would never move out of Cleveland. I didn't watch another NFL game until 1999 when the Browns came back.

1. Trading Charlie Batch

2. Drafting Stafford

3. Winning a game this year. I was rooting for 0-32.

This year. Sitting in the Q, surrounded by Jets fans watching San Diego choke once again when our Super Bowl chances were better than ever.

When the 49ers got rid of Joe Montana to make room for the future with Steve Young. I was devastated.

Thumbs up to those who agree.

ALL OF THOSE ARE DISAPPOINTING MOMENTS AS A RAIDER FAN....I THINK THE MOST DISAPPOINTING TO ME WAS THE TUCK RULE INCIDENT..IT WAS CLEARLY A FUMBLE..WE HAD THAT GAME AND EVERYONE KNEW WE WOULDA WON THE SUPER BOWL THAT YEAR....IT WAS OUR YEAR...ANOTHER DISAPPOINTMENT WAS WHEN WE DRAFTED JAMARCUS RUSSELL..WE COULDA HAD ADRIAN PETERSON OR CALVIN JOHNSON..SHOOT WE EVEN COULDA BEEN BETTER OFF WITH BRADY QUINN....