TOm asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 10 years ago

Legal status of MDMA(aka X) in Canada?

Wiki says schedule III but I'd like some more reliable sources.

Also, is it of pure quality? The prescription kind

Also, is it easy to get a prescription for it, costs?(W and w/o insurance) (citizens only///residents only?)

Who can give the prescription?

Do you know first hand that your information is 100% true? Or read online

If so, heil Canada ooo canada... Ooooooo canada

Best Answer

Canada is a member of the UN, and MDMA is internationally banned by the UN Convention on Psychotropic Substances of 1971 (it wasn't banned in the original act, but was added later). The only exceptions to this are for research purposes. MDMA is in fact Schedule III in Canada. You can read the entire controlled substances act at the Department of Justice website. However, the way the act is worded does not mean that just because a substance is Schedule III, it is available by prescription. In Canada you still must have a government license to possess MDMA, and such a license would be granted for research purposes only. MDMA is still considered to have no accepted medical use in the treatment of any condition or disease, which means that doctors cannot prescribe it.

The Canadian controlled substances act is a little more ambiguous than USA's controlled substances act, and the schedules in the Canadian law are not the same as the schedules in USA law. In the USA, Schedule III drugs are drugs with a moderate potential for abuse, but accepted medical value. In Canada, Schedule III drugs are drugs whose only legitimate use is for research. LSD is also a Schedule III substance in Canada, but it isn't available by prescription. At any rate, the answer to your question is that yes MDMA is Schedule III, but no you cannot get a prescription for it because it is not used in medical treatment of any kind, and manufacturing it will still get you 10 years in prison.

Northern...Although MDMA has a similar chemical structure to methamphetamine, it is not a "type" of methamphetamine, it is a unique chemical with properties very different from methamphetamine, and it is listed as Schedule I in the USA, but this question does not ask about USA drug laws, it asks about Canadian drug laws. Both MDA and MDMA are Schedule III substances in Canada. Read the controlled drugs and substances act of 1996.

Edit: Northern, I don't know why they don't use the standard methylenedioxymethamphetamine term, but in the Canadian CDSA is it listed by an alternative name, N–methyl–3,4–methylenedioxyamphetamine. Silly Canadians, haha. At any rate, we've taken the discussion a bit beyond what the OP originally asked. The point is that MDMA is not used medically in Canada, or elsewhere (except in a few limited clinical trials) and you can't get a prescription for it from a doctor.

Ecstasy is a type of methamphetamine, which is a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.

(MDA, which is different from MDMA, is a Schedule III drug, but that classification specifically excludes methamphetamines.)

Possessing or trying to obtain either is an offence. Offences involving Schedule I substances are more serious, but you won't get a prescription for either.

ETA: Jefferson, I may be confused, as chemistry is admittedly not my strong suit, but MDMA does not expressly occur anywhere in the CDSA *at all*. Thus, MDMA, if a controlled substance, must be captured by an inclusive category, as a "salt, derivative, isomer, or analogue" of another substance. Given the nomenclature, I presumed the parent substance to be methamphetamine, which has been in Schedule I since 2005. I could be mistaken on the relationship between the two. But it certainly isn't included anywhere in the CDSA as a "unique chemical".

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Legal status of MDMA(aka X) in Canada?

Who can give the prescription?

Do you know first hand...

Source(s): legal status mdma aka canada: https://tr.im/NVGB8

There is no way for you to come to Canada and have legal status if you are presently in the USA illegally. You would have to return to your country of origin and apply through legal means, same as you SHOULD have done before going to the USA. However, if you have any criminal record either in your home country or in the USA, you will not be accepted for legal immigration to Canada, ever.