Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 10 years ago

Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast AntiVirus?

I have Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast AntiVirus to choose from and i don't know witch one is the best i like both but can only have one, witch do you guys suggest

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

Strangely enough, although you can normally only have one, these two happen to work well together. I have both

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Industry Top Antivirus Software - http://MoveAntiVirus.com/?WHwt
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Avast, for several reasons:

MSE has fallen short of the high expectations of the security community...for instance: "Security Essentials boasts live kernel behavior monitoring and other features that should help against rootkits—they didn't. It only detected two-thirds of my rootkit samples. Two were still running and one still functioning as a rootkit after attempted removal...(etc)" From PCMag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2353447,00.as...

In my opinion, Microsoft would be less aware of it's own operating system's shortcomings, either by ignorance or Corporate Policy of denial (something they have always been guilty of), whereas an outside source would have less bias in the matter.

Architecture within the OS that permits exploits in the first place would be inclined to be overlooked in the software meant to protect it.

It's a bit like the current Toyota "gas pedal" flap: the company knew about it, but denied anything was wrong until outside (non-Toyota) sources began discovery & revelation of the facts.

Ford years ago had the same thing happen with the "Pinto" gas tanks.

• Buster
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

I have used and recommed the Microsoft Security Essentials and McAfee Site Advisor.

Good Luck

The Old Computer Guy

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

I use Security Essentials and have found it to be a great program.

• george
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

microsoft...products, work better with microsoft programs

right?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.