Why do people still assert that America is a Christian Nation when...?

We have The 1st Amendment, The Treaty of Tripoli, Separation of Church and State, and Murray v. Curlett?

-Murray v. Curlett (and Abington School District v. Schempp) was a United States Supreme Court case argued on February 27–28, 1963 and decided on June 17, 1963. In the case, the Court decided 8–1 in favor of the respondent, Edward Schempp, and declared school-sponsored Bible reading in public schools in the United States to be unconstitutional.

-The Separation of Church and State, this self-explanatory idea held by Thomas Jefferson was agreed upon in decisions like...

-The 1st Amendment's Establishment Clause which reads:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

-And the lesser known Treaty of Tripoli, whose article 11 says:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen,—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

The first line being very important

Anyway, obviously this question will not change anyone's views, but I would like to see how christians respond...

Add: Sarah, I'll have you know I don't celebrate easter or christmas, and generally refuse gifts during either, as for valentine's day, I'm single so it barely matters to me.

And just so you know, if YOU celebrate easter or christmas you are celebrating PAGAN holidays, way to be true to your religion!

Add: Cadillac, it seems that the Mayflower Compact is only about the original settlements of America, and NOT about the formation of the united states of America. And while separation of church and state is not in any documents, I use that to show that not all of our fair founding fathers were attempting to create a theocracy. However the court case that determined school-led bible reading and prayer were unconstitutional seems quite conclusive on our country's secular stance...

Add: @Actions have consequences, although roughly 75-80% of this country is christian, I only want to assert that we are not lawfully a christian nation. And I like to address the Treaty of Tripoli, not because it is any form of US law, but because it states (and was agreed upon by our powers that be) that we were not formed as a christian nation.

Thank you for your feedback.

Add: Chrispy, you can't take vague bible verses and pin them onto today's situations...And regardless, we are not really dissenting from god, only about 20% of us really are...so, fail

Add: @Geeks,

Those are the same bible followers that killed neighboring towns' men, children, and non-virgin women because they needed more room...(read the bible)

Favorite Answer

Same reason that some people still believe that the Sun revolves around the flat earth.

• Julie

I don't believe it's any more Christian than Canada or England. We have some groups that CLAIM to be Christians that THEY (lucky them) don't. For instance, we have cult-like Baptist churches that make up their own rules and try to control everyone and are racist and homophobic. There are also: Southern Baptists, Mormons, and those churches that preach SPECIFICALLY against blacks, and chruches that preach specifically against gays. And then there's those BIG groups of Catholics that claim to be Christians, but actually, only I'd say a tiny handfull of Catholics have actually been born again and are true Christians. When you narrow down true Christianity that way, no, I would say America's going to the dogs, and that we are not a Christian nation at all. There are true Christians there, but there are all over the world. We just happen to have a big population. You may as well say that Canada's a Christian Nation, or the UK is a Christian Nation, or Australia's a Christian Nation...Just because America was founded by lots of Christians doesn't mean anything...

• zi_xin

Unfortunately we can't escape the prayers in the locker room before big games or athletes thanking God for a victory. We can't escape the fact that the phrase "under God" is in the pledge of allegiance or the fact that "In God We Trust" appears on every denomination of our money. The con try is run by men of faith rather we like it or not. It is almost an unspoken prerequisite to be a Christian before you can run for Congress or the presidency. Do you truely be live that their religious affiliation has no influence on their judgment and policies? GW Bush was guided by God as we invaded Iraq. so yes, if the country is run by Christians then we are a Christian nation. It just happens that the government does not press its religious views on the common people like some of the middle eastern countries but the conservative right is working hard to change that every day.

• The Treaty of Tripoli means nothing to this discussion, it's simply a comment at the beginning of a treaty with a foreign land, not a statement of law in the US.

However, the Constitution is clear on the matter, and that's all that matters.

However, none of that stops a majority of the US from being Christian (or calling themselves Christian might be more accurate), and that makes it a Christian nation in fact, if not in law.

There's a ton of controversy regarding the First Amendment. The founding fathers were probably more concerned that the government would prevent people from being able to worship freely. But they were Christians, and at that time Christian values were the basis for writing laws. Their beliefs were not specifically referenced in the Constitution, but it was written with those standards in mind. At least that's my personal opinion.

Source(s): KARLOZ: At least he's not masquerading as Robert DeNiro.

You are citing instances which have nothing to do with your question.

I will not address each of them, but I will address the "separation of church and state."

There is NO document declaring a separation of church and state, now was this "self-explanatory idea held by Thomas Jefferson. The term "separation of church and state" was not ever publicly used until sometime in the latter part of the 20th Century. The phrase was coined and originated with the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), which was not yet in existence during Thomas Jefferson's lifetime. I am not certain, but I believe that organization was formed in the mid-Twentieth Century. The term "separation of church and state" does not appear in the Constitution, nor in any of the Amendments to the Constitution, so your use of this phrase in your question/rant is not accurate. I would guess that the other instances you cited are equally inaccurate, but I do not have the time nor the inclination to check on them at this time.

Now, I will refer you to a document which precedes anything you have cited. You can quickly check this document.

Go to any search engine and type in "Mayflower Compact. Read the first couple of lines which state that the reason for establishing settlements on this continent is to practice and to further the gospel of Jesus Christ. Sounds like a Christian nation to me.

Go in peace.

And, always remember: -- Jesus loves you!!

Sincerely,

Uncle Floyd

JESUS IS LORD!!

• 'Cause I still see atheists celebrating EAster/VAlentine's Day and Christmas, so it proves to me that this is a very Christian-centric culture. Too many cultural Christians. You think people in China are celebrating this stuff? You think people in the galaxy of Andromeda are going be celebrating these Christian-based traditions. No way. The Chinese could care less about white wedding dresses in white chapels. The Chinese are tired of atheists, like you, who want to pretend like you're not culturally Christian. It's an offense, it's like you're acting like Christmas is something universal and international and that everyone should celebrate it. No, everyone's not gonna celebrate it and all traditions are worthy of mention.

Americans always say they are a Christian nation. But tell me what Christian nation will go to invade another nation for oil? I believe in God. It does not matter what anybody can say, I will still believe, but I dont consider this, USA, a Christian nation. And if USA is a Christian nation, who the hell is the Evil Nation?

Because Christians have a distorted view on history and they are trying to re-write it by banning or prohibiting certain books that they object to.

Proof regarding my comments on books?

Sure

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2010/100...

• I am a Christian. I think "In God we trust" should be taken off our money. It's hypocritical.