Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What's the point of become a vegetarian outside of living a healthier lifestyle?

Sorry if I offend with the my candid tone in this question but frankly I fail to understand people who claim to become vegetarians in the name of animal liberation and rights but continue to use animal and animals tested products.

Wasn't it the Vice President of PETA who was a diabetic injecting herself with insulin everyday (which is a animal product) who said she doesn't feel bad for using a animal product like insulin cause she needs her life to save the animals. What kind of hypocrisy is that?

I've met many people like that. Are many of you the same. I noticed many people in here claiming to be vegetarians in the name of animal rights but lots are wearing a ton of eyeliner and make up in there avatar pics...or are blatantly describing non vegan activities that they participate in.

Aren't you a vegan if you are a vegetarian in the name of animal rights.....I mean why would you use products that are made from animals if you don't eat them because it hurts them?

Can anyone shed some light on this or is this just hypocrisy at it it's finest?

@Trin: Thanks for shedding a little bit of light on things for me. I was under the impression that vegetarian was just a dietary thing and Vegan is actually the belief that no one should eat or use animal products.

Thanks little M, I agree on the saving lives part....but if orginizations like Alf are liberating animals many other people may die. How does it become ok for some with some illness and okay for others with another? Is it just luck of the draw for whoever ALF blows up?

@NonChris: I am not a Vegetarian nor am I Vegan. I eat animals and veggies. I support animals rights when it comes to animal testing and factory farming. I believe it's okay to eat animals as long as you aren't wasting them or killing them in inhumane ways. I believe in animal conservation, etc.

@Dr.House: @Dr.House: I can understand you skeptisim. I believe that perhaps I worded the question poorly and in the haste of a hectic day. By “non-vegan activities” I mean doing things that involve the use of animals products or the use of things that are created from aniamls. Perhaps horseback riding where you are not only riding a horse but it’s saddled in leather. Perhaps, you own a pet and that pet eats off the shelf dog food that contains other euthanized canines. (A largely undisclosed fact)

I am just saying it seems that declaring vegitarianism in the name of animal cruelty seems to be in vain if you are still wearing leather belts, wearing animals test make up, or using fertilizers that contain animal marrow or parts to grow your food and and flowers. How does that even begin to aid animal liberation or destruct animal cruelty?

I just see many people claiming to be a vegitarian for animal rights when they still use animals products.

Why not just become vegan.

Favorite Answer

Because of the "cute little animals." No logical reason.

By the way, being a vegetarian does NOT equate to being healthier. Watching your diet to reduce saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, and sodium intake, and to increase vitamins and minerals, is the way to become healthy, NOT starving your body of food that it needs.

To be truly vegan, you could not live in modern society. Somewhere down the line, you're ultimately supporting someone who supports the meat industry or animal "cruelty". The truck driver who delivered the fruits to the vegan store probably eats meat, and even if he doesn't, his higher-ups most likely do, as do the people at the gas station & oil company he bought the truck's diesel from.

If you want a personal opinion, I'll gladly share mine. I am not a vegan but I have been a vegetarian for 40+ years. PETA didn't exist then. And I chose to be a vegetarian for health reasons. Aesthetics didn't enter into my initial choice. I haven't ever demanded that others eat as I do, when I married a non-vegetarian I made it clear I would always be glad to cook whatever he wanted, but we could share the veggies, fruits, and salads, but I do think it's irresponsible to eat too much, no matter what a person eats. There's no point in courting heart disease, cancer, type2 diabetes,and a host of other conditions that arise from excess lifestyle issues.

Source(s): personal opinion because that's how I understood the question.

A few things:

>many people at first aren't aware of how widespread animal exploitation is, and are in some state of transitioning between rabid omnivore and completely vegan

>the actions of one person (Ingrid Newkirk) don't define the millions of people who care about animals

>there are many brands of cruelty-free cosmetics, so makeup in a pic here hardly constitutes hypocrisy

What exactly ARE "non-vegan activities"? I'm honestly interested in what this could possibly be, if not animal abuse/slaughter. I'll check back.

Thank you for your question.

I can't speak for everyone, but for myself. I am a vegan and hate any form of animal cruelty. I will not use make-up unless it has been found to not be animal tested. I don't have an illness like diabetes but it is to save a life. I can see where they are coming from. these people need to stay alive to try and fight for animal rights. The ALF, which is the animal liberation front needs to be alive to save these. i wont use anything animal tested, but if i had to save my life by getting an injection or whatever, then i dunno, like i dont want to die!

Listen, lots of people here [including myself] don't praise PETA. Lots of people here hate PETA, lots of them dont give two cares [like myself] about PETA. I don't associate with them, just because I don't eat meat. Lots of people here use cruelty free products [yes, not every company tests their crap on animals], including myself. The ones who do, do it for two reasons...1) they can't afford cruelty free products and 2) they are vegetarian/vegan for what it truly is...a dietary lifestyle. That's a solid point that most people don't seem to understand [not throwing any offense to you here], it's a diet. Everyone has their own diet.

Yes, there are lots of hypocrites out there, but I dont' associate with that. I'm a non-meat eater because of my spirituality/religion, and health. It's the reason why i'm still here today, and the reason why I'm still keeping strong.

Edit: No problem.

Everyone holds themselves to different standards. You should be happy that so many people ARE vegetarians at all. But instead your calling them hypocrites because you think your a "better" vegetarian then they are. Maybe take yourself down a notch? You act like your saving the world or something. A few times a month i volunteer at a homeless shelter making food, I don't come on here and call people who only DONATE food lazy idiots. That would just be being an arrogant prick, like you are.

on the subject of a healthier lifestyle: this massage is to meat lovers,vegetarians and vegans is to cut down or cut out of your meals and snacks:junk foods,pastas made with white flour,foods made with white flour,potatoes,white rice and everything made with white flour and sugar.

search the internet,one phrase a search,with phrases such as "leafy green recipes","healthy alternatives to junk food","healthy alternatives to dairy","healthy alternatives to meat","healthy alternatives to snacks","healthy vegetable recipes","low carb vegetable recipes","low carb vegetarian recipes","low carb vegan recipes","healthy low carb snacks","vegetable side dishes","vegetarian side dishes","vegan side dishes","whole grain breads","whole grain cereals" and "whole grain foods".good luck.

People do what they can. What are YOU doing to making a statement in something you believe in or don't believe in ?