Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 10 years ago

What is the rest of the drink that James Bond recites in Casino Royale?

It starts:

3 measures of Gordon

1 measure of Vodka

1/2 ?

Shaken

Over ice

And a slice of lemon

whats the 1/2 he mentions i can understand what he is saying.

if anyone has tried it tell me if it was good at all.

Thanks :D

• rob
    Favorite Answer

The "Vesper" that James Bond orders at Casino Royale is taken from the novel. It consists of three measures (9 ounces) of gin (Gordon's was Bond's choice), one measure (3 ounces) of vodka (Bond preferred a grain vodka be used; e.g. Absolut) and half a measure (1.5 ounces) of Kina Lillet. The ingredients are shaken over ice until cold, served in a cocktail glass with a slice of lemon peel for garnish. Kina Lillet has not been made since 1985 and the modern substitute would be Lillet Blanc, made by the same company, Lillet, based in Podensac, France. This also creates somewhat of an anachronism as the film adaptation of "Casino Royale" is clearly set in the present, where Kina Lillet would no longer be available.

I'm not sure about what he says in the movie, but in the novel, Bond's signature drink is the Vesper Martini. The recipes I've found are similar to what you stated, and the missing ingredient is Lillet Blanc, found in the wine section usually. I bought a bottle to try it out, but I had honestly forgotten about it until now - thanks for the reminder!

• ?

I put the "letter box"on and it said "1/2 shaken" ....but it does sound like he said something else ?