Battery went dead in my car overnight, why?

I have an OLD car: An 89 Oldsmobile, Delta 88.

It's falling apart in a number of ways, but all of its problems are mostly cosmetic and "comfort" related.

For the most part, it runs great. Engine is in very good shape with 120k miles. Breaks are good, transmission is good.

However, I have noticed lately that the floor on the driver's side is /very/ wet. I haven't noticed any leaks, but it's remained wet for weeks now (I keep it outside and I live in Seattle).

I've been mostly just ignoring this (and it may or may not be related).

This morning, when I tried to start my car: nothing. Absolutely nothing. No lights, no horn, even door locks don't respond. It's totally 100% dead.

I'm wondering if there is a leak which somehow caused a short and drained the battery? Total guess though, and I am no car expert.

What else might cause this? How can I troubleshoot it?

Favorite Answer

First thing to do is make sure that there was nothing left on (dome light, interior light etc) that caused the battery to drain. It is possible that the leak caused something to short out, but can't say for sure.

Check your battery terminals for corrossion. If you see whitish green crud around the terminals, take a mix of baking soda and water, along with a toothbrush, and clean up the terminals. Hope this helps.

Either something was left on or something is draining the battery. Charge the battery back up to see if any lights or anything else electronic comes on. If nothing, check for a draw while the vehicle is off to trace down what is draining the battery. Another possibility is a dead alternator. It may not have been charging the battery while the vehicle was running

i have a 1988 and your trouble could be a dead cell in the battery. as for the wetness on the floor if your anti-freeze is,nt going down it could be rain water getting in around the door or the windshield is leaking. smell it to see if it,s anti-freeze.if it,s just water then it could be coming from you drain hose of the AC. try checking the drain hose out to see if it,s clogged then adjust the door a little bit tighter against the weather stripping and run a small bead of clear silicone sealer around the outside of the windshield.

you either left some light on, or it was just that time to get a new battery. they dont last forever [2-5 yrs depending on the brand and supposed life time.]

well try and boost the battery