what reason can i tell my physician to prescribe me Inderal?

so im actually giving up my family and everything I have to go to my country and audition for this huge singing competition. so anyways, Im not going to screw it up, i know its in me, and i will practice alot. but im only wanting the medicine for Stage Fright JUST IN CASE!!. what reason can I give my doctor to give me a prescription?!?!?!?!

Favorite Answer

You say "doctor, I am going to be auditioning for a major competition and I am worried I will get stage fright. I have heard about using propranolol (Inderal) for stage fright, what do you think about it?" No matter what be HONEST, don't just make something up to get propranolol.

I can't see why your doctor would not prescribe a tablet or two of propranolol. It is not a controlled substance or in any way addictive and it has been used to help with stage fright for decades.

So assuming you don't take medications or have a health problem that contraindicates the use of propranolol you should not have a problem at all.

But, in case you still want to know, propranolol is used for

hypertension, angina pectoris (prophylaxis), cardiac arrhythmias, post-myocardial infarction,

migraine (prophylaxis), essential tremor, hypertrophic subaortic stenosis, and pheochromocytoma.

And propranolol is used "off label" for various anxiety disorders particularly social anxiety disorder, post traumatic stress disorder and to a smaller extent generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, acute panic attack (with or without panic disorder), and it may be used as an adjacent medication during alcohol, benzodiazepine, or barbiturate withdrawal.

Source(s): I am a medical student (M.D., C.M.) at a university in Montréal, QC, Canada for psychiatry and internal medicine. I have a Hons. BSc in pharmacology and I have interned with two psychiatrists and one neurologist. I have also worked as a pharmacy assistant. Official Inderal Prescribing Information US and Health Canada