Do I REALLY need a carseat?

I mean, come on! Car seats have only become legal in the last 20 years or so. Before that, nobody used car seats. There are many succesful - famous even! - people who never used carseats as babies! My parents didn't use carseats becasue they weren't invented then, and they are fine!!! Do I really need one... show more I mean, come on! Car seats have only become legal in the last 20 years or so. Before that, nobody used car seats. There are many succesful - famous even! - people who never used carseats as babies! My parents didn't use carseats becasue they weren't invented then, and they are fine!!! Do I really need one for my baby?

My friends who use carseats are always telling me about the benefits of carseats, but it is not working for me so I would prefer not to use one for personal reasons of my own. My baby just never took to a carseat. Why do people who use carseats feel compelled to inform those of us who would rather not use them?
Update: Were both just SOOO much happier now! And whose to say that, in another 20 years, research will prove that carseats were in fact more dangerous and more babies died in them.
Update 2: And why do moms who use them feel compelled to inform those of us who don't use them? My opinion - they think we don't know the benefits of carseats.
Update 3: Not trying to be sarcastic,nor is this an "inside joke amongst my friends". I was trying to make a point. Thank you to those who helped me accomplish that: "Umm they use to think smoking was ok too..." "just because something didn't exist 20 years ago, doesn't mean it's... show more Not trying to be sarcastic,nor is this an "inside joke amongst my friends". I was trying to make a point. Thank you to those who helped me accomplish that:

"Umm they use to think smoking was ok too..."
"just because something didn't exist 20 years ago, doesn't mean it's not a good idea today. Cell phones didn't exist 20 years ago"
"they used to do a lot of things that research has shown is not good or safe... they used to recommend lysol to women that needed to douche..."
"why wouldnt you want to do everything you can to protect your baby and keep them safe?"
"And it's plain & simple that you dont know the benefits of using a carseat otherwise you would be using one!"

And the winner:
"In general though, people are always trying to inform others out there about different safety measures because there are some parents out there that do not research. So, if it wasn't for their friends showing them what is best, maybe they might not know."