Should I call the police? Need advice asap. 10pts?

Ok, I need some advice.. I'm torn..

I'm at work right now (I work at a hotel, I'm the only person on staff right now) and a homeless man came to the hotel and asked me if he could use the restroom. I said that was ok, but he had to leave afterwards.. which he did.. but he came back to the hotel about 30mins later and asked if he could warm up. He told me he was trying to get to the Mission (homless shelter) but his bike broke and it was too dark to fix it (I work the 3rd shift -- 11pm-7am). I told him he could warm up for 5mins, but he had to leave after.. and he did.

Its 5am now, and he showed up AGAIN! And asked to use the restroom. I told him no, and to leave because its almost breakfast time and people will be coming down.

and now.. I just looked out my front desk window and SAW HIM SLEEPING ON THE CONCRETE out front the hotel! Right out front!

He can't stay there.. but I'm a little scared to confront him (he seems to have a mental disability and problems communicating).

Should I call the police? Or should I just go out there and handle it? I don't want to call the police because they are for more serious things.. and I don't think he's dangerous.. but I am afraid to approach him.

I know this is a really stupid question.. but I kinda feel bad for the old guy and don't want to get him in trouble. at the same time, I dont want to be fired.

I just need imput. Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

Hello, hope everything is ok. If i was in your situation i wouldnt call the police, he is causing no harm to you or others just really make the hotel looks a bit scabby lol. I would just hold and wait for maybe another member of staff to come and see if they can help you as you sound worried...

please let me know how you get on =)

Psh. Correct. The man is human. Although, he's obviously made some not so good decisions in his life, he is very much human. I would leave him. Let the man get some sleep. Tomorrow the sun will be out, it will be warmer. He'll fix his bike and leave.

Plus, I'm pretty sure if your boss fires you.. you can go to your state labor board. You have not failed to do your job in any way, shape, or form by confronting the man. Unless of course, your job description entails occasionally harassing the elderly. If it does, your job sucks. That's discrimination against a human life form. Sue. You'll own that hotel.

Well if you need to do some thing I would call the police. I would not go out and confront him on his own terms. You could call your manager and tell him if you want. I know it's cold outside and that he is a human but you also have a business to run.

Its Not A stupid question. My sis had the same prob once. she called her boss. He came down and took care of it. I don't know if ur boss is as nice as hers. If he wont come down call the cops. that may not be the right answer but ur safety is more important.

Source(s): My sis has the same job.

If you think you can handle it and think he poses no danger, and you think he'll be able to comprehend, then honestly tell him how you feel about your job and it's responsibilities. There's nothing wrong with calling the police either, it's called loitering.

You just gotta muster a little courage and politely ask him to leave. It's not like you wanted him to stay there and get in trouble.

Source(s): Common courtesy

Call the police luv. They'll find a shelter for him where he can be fed, get warm and be safe.

• Mag

call the police

• Lefty

Just leave him..don't go out there...

Leave him be