How is Liquid Swords a 10/10 album?

I see a lot of people say this on here, production is a factor when rating an album, and it's definitely lacking good production. Lyrically it's on point, but the album isn't perfect.

BQ: How do you rate the album?

BQ2: How do you rate the production on it?

@B.k.S., because I'm not into slow dark beats? I don't get how anyone can feel that beat honestly... Shadowboxin, Liquid Swords, and Duel of the Iron Mic are basically the only beats I like on the album.

Edit: It's either I need to give this album another listen or you guys are just rating it high because it's known as a Wu classic.

Best Answer

Your logic on your last edit is twisted. People don't give Liquid Swords a high rating because it's a classic. It's the other way around: albums become classics because people give them high ratings in the first place. If it's not your style, that's fine, but for people that love that style (which is the majority of fans of classic hip hop) Liquid Swords is the epitome of that style of production. The production compliments the lyrics perfectly by setting the mood for each song. Rza's sample selection was flawless. The drum programming and original music are outstanding. People like different styles, so you can say you don't think it's a 10/10 album, and argue why it's not a 10/10, but acting like you're baffled as to how anyone could possibly like the production on Liquid Swords is a bit ignorant. It's not like it's just a trendy album that people like at the moment and are going to forget about in a year. It's been commonly considered a masterpiece for over 15 years. You have to respect that. For instance, I don't think that Reasonable Doubt is a 10/10 album, but I understand that my opinion is in the minority, and I don't question other people's judgment for thinking so highly of it.

BQ & BQ2: 10/10

Source(s): I despise these vague anti-popular opinion rants. If you want to prove how different you are, at least provide some specific details. You can rephrase "I don't like the production" 100 times, but you're still not explaining why you don't like the production.
  • Spice

I understand what you are saying perfectly. Some albums are harder to get into than others. For me this was one of those albums. Probably not coincidentally, Shadowboxin and Liquids Swords were the only songs that stood out the first time I listened to the album, perhaps because their production is the least subtle. I thought the rest of the album was generic Wu Tang beats, but its definitely grown on me since then.

I could be mistaken and maybe this isn't your first time listening to it. But if it is, you might want to lay off listening to it for a while, and then come back to it later. The production could grow on you like it grew on me. I still don't think its production is awesome, but its not horrible either, its pretty good. I'd give the production a 7.5/10 and the lyrics a 9/10. 8.5 overall.

By the way, I don't consider most classic albums to be 10/10 albums. Most classics are classics because of their impact, not because they are perfect albums. I made up this rule that if you can't name all the songs from an album off the top of your head, it can't possibly be a perfect album, otherwise you would have bumped every song like crazy and know them all by heart.

Hmmm... that's strange. I think the production is outstanding because it fits each song so well. A lot of times that albums have dark atmospheric production, it doesn't even go with the lyrics. But Liquid Swords is not one of those albums. If you read the lyrics to any song on the album and try to imagine what kind of beat would capture the feeling of those lyrics, you'll get the exact beat that was used in the song. Cold World's beat = A cold world. Investigative Reports' beat = corruption. You don't necessarily have to like the beats, but they match the lyrics so perfectly that you should see why the production on that album is so highly praised.

And this is coming from the person who gets scrutinized for calling 36 Chambers overrated. You should probably give it another listen, because honestly I don't even like Wu-Tang all that much and I still think this album is as close to perfect as you can get.

BQ: 9.75/10, and the best rap album of all time

BQ2: 5/5

So...Gold, Bible,4th Chamber did nothing for you?

...Production wise it wasn't Kanye West...and had a very basic kick drum pattern...

The thing is.... that particular pattern worked...

The production was a 4/5 to me....it wasn't mindblowing...but definitely meshed with the lyricist well...which ultimately is why the songs came out so well...Mood i think is the best and most underated aspect in production...when the producers sends the same message as the MC does it creates the perfect package....

Not to mention that none of the beats were wack...maybe not crazy...but definitely not wack...

On top of that...lyrically speaking...he was on point...throughout....

Bottom line....just because a album has some annoyances...doesn't mean it didn't do the job....50 cent might not be a lyrical god...but he makes good music...which is why i would give his first album a 5/5 even though lyrically he isn't a superior MC....

In the end...the music was great on the album....Personally i'm not in love with "Bible"...or "Cold World"... doesn't mean i'mma deny the song its merits...

If your looking for a "perfect" album...you'll never find it....there are always going to be "faults" found by someone...thats how sh*t is...the real question is what are you basing those faults on...

The production is one of RZA's Best Production ever, wow.

Look at songs like Swordsman, Duel of the iron mic.

Look how it blends with the lyrics, there's probably no other beats that blend more into a complete album like that. Not to mention the lyrics are outstanding. The album is 10/10 and the production is 10/10

What kind of beats would you want on the album? Poppy, glossy beats? That kind of takes away from the whole gutter street feel doesn't it. The Wu is grimey, and Liquid Swords is the peak of their griminess, and RZA's production is perfect (just as it was on Only Built 4 Cuban Linx). GZA is spitting street tales of crime and robbery, and slow dark beats are what you need for that sort of sh*t. You gotta realize that RZA crafted the beats early on for specific members. The beats on Liquid Swords sound totally different then the ones on Tical, which sound different then the ones on OB4CL, which sound different then the ones on Ironman. GZA is a laid back rapper who relies more on his lyrics than his flow or delivery, and slow beats match him perfectly. As for the dark feel, if you don't like that you probably don't like a lot of other albums considered East Coast classics from that time.

BQ: 10/10

BQ2: 10/10

One of the best albums ever made.

I aways get thumbs down for saying this but I'll say it anyways... the production for me was not that good. The introduction to some songs where cool the first time listening to the album, but after a while it gets annoying. Also, the quality of sound was not superior. However, I like the beats because it's the classic "Wu" feel, I can see why some people wouldn't like them. though.

BQ: How do you rate the album? 8-9

BQ2: How do you rate the production on it? 6(I still like some the beats)

• B.k.S.

"It's definitely lacking good production"

The only thing that's definite is that you're in a tiny minority if you think the production on Liquid Swords isn't good. Have you even HEARD "Swordsman"? If you're not feeling that beat then you've got questionable taste in hip hop production.

BQ: 10/10

BQ2: 9/10

EDIT: Ya, you actually are in the minority if you're not into slow dark beats. That's exactly what makes The Infamous a classic. As well as many other east coast albums from the 90s.

I'm not saying you HAVE to like that sound. But the fact is that the majority of hip hop heads do.

• Anon

The production on that album was some of RZA's best and as you said GZA's lyrics were great. Its the best Wu-Tang solo or group album. Yeah I would give it another listen b.c. its really a great album. Btw, by you saying this you might have began a "Liquid Swords is overrated" bandwagon on Y!A.

5/5

4.75/5

Yeah i agree the production wasnt the best.

And the introductions to the songs are annoying

after the very first time you listen to it.

But the lyrics, flow and material was still great.

BQ: 9/10

BQ2: 8/10