Ashiya
Ashiya asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 10 years ago

What is the difference between "pain" and "suffering"?

Is it possible to have pain without suffering? Do you feel suffering is a choice?

Best Answer

Pain is inevitable but suffering is a choice.When u are hurt by something,there are two ways.U either move on and forget it or cringe to it and keep feeling bad,the second one is called suffering.Like i always say,u can never suffer unless u want to.Its a choice.Its how u react to it.I personally think its better to take pain and give suffering to the person who gave u the pain;)

• chuck3 years agoReport

Giving suffering to anyone is not what Christians are taught. Peace be with you.

• visick

Difference Between Pain And Suffering

Pain is a physical feeling, like when you break a bone, or get a toothache, or when you go into labor to have a child, even your stomach, when you get hunger pains.

This is all connected to your nerves, which act as sensors and send messages to your brain, and you have the physical reaction.

Suffering is similar, but not the same thing. Say you have a toothache, that's the pain part of it, but the suffering would come when you can't go to the dentist to have it fixed, and you have to suffer with the pain, and possibly the infection.

There are other levels of suffering as well, like when you lose someone you loved very much, the pain of that loss causes your heart to endure this, and it can take a long time to heal, or never heal at all.

Suffering happens over a long period of time, or what can seem to be an eternity. Hope this helps, good luck.

Pain is a natural mechanism of the system to react to a situation which causes stress.It can happen ho matter how much ever you try to "force" yourself.Common ways of suppressing pain are clenching your fists and gritting your teeth but in reality is causes more harm than good.Whatever pain that is suppressed always comes out in some other form or the other and proves to be all the more painful.Its like burying toxic wastes inside the ground,which after years starts to cause hazards

Whereas suffering is a conscious choice that usually follows pain.Often its an obsession or addiction to pain like addiction to smoking or drinking.Just like how a small sip can trigger your to drink several pegs , the same way, a small trivial incident can cause suffering

I can explain it in physical terms : Getting injured while doing something causes pain, its sometimes unavoidable

But adding salt to your own wounds is an example of how suffering works, it can be avoided

So its important to draw a line between necessary pain and unnecessary pain.

Necessary pain is caused by stressful situations which are alien to us.This sort of pain doesnt persist for long if it is allowed to heal naturally, that is if we experience the pain , feel it and let it go.

Whereas in case of unnecessary pain, we are the cause of the stressful situation itself .We make statements that are self destructive and negative like "I'm a loser","I'm a thorough failure".This can be avoided.This happens because we hold on to the pain whenever it comes to it.Getting over it is a tough process

• GargVK

A Buddhist saying proclaims: "Pain is inevitable; suffering is optional."

Pain will always be around and it is inevitable, there's always something wrong that we must deal with everyday. Suffering from it is feeling sorry for yourself and prolonging the pain. Some people are amazing at hiding their pain and not suffering. By suffering, the others around have that influence and maybe start suffering themselves; it's contagious. It depends who suffers by how strong of a person you, at times, or just how much pain is really inflicted upon you. Some people deal with little pain throughout their lives and some deal with way too much baggage, hence the suffering being optional.

A mother delivers a child with lots of pain. But the experience is extremely joyous, of bringing forth a new life into this world, a child that would belong to her for ever!

Where as, an unmarried girl cheated by an youth, when she carries his illegitimate child even for 3 months, does not have any pain, and can even abort the child quite painlessly, but would suffer for the rest of her life, thinking about it.

And yes, suffering is a choice, only after when we move into a state of "choicelessness"

• The meaning of pain and suffering is an issue of semantics,

so, I will defer that part of your question to those who have

an opinion in that area. First of all, pain and suffering are not

"negative" things. They are just things. In the general category

of feelings, there are some we would choose to do without if

we were given such a choice. We aren't. Those feelings are

common to us all. To resist them because we don't like them

is an exercise in futility. I treat my feelings as if they are all

old friends looking out for my welfare. If pain and suffering

visit me, I welcome them like a long lost friend. I assure

them that they have gotten my attention and that there is

no longer a need for them to manifest as discomfort.

Amazingly, I have been able to lessen their severity by

using this approach. I'm continuing to learn new ways

to be at peace with my feelings. They help me stay alive.

Source(s): Mee<3 lol (:

great question madhavi:) yOU know though these words sound synonimous but still there lies a "deep" difference !! Happiness can be found of things which may not even be beneficial to our spiritual or psychological aspect like we may go out & have our favourite dish & clothes etc., we would feel happy. But satisfaction comes from a kind of achievent, if we get good grades in studies we would get a positive feeling that says "hard word paid off" now thats more beneficial isn't it ;p[ Now peace.... I think it depends on what attitude we adopt towads the "activities" we do for "happiness" or either "satisfaction", peace actually exist in our self, it just has to be found by us. A person of ignorance might feel peace while a hard worker could be strresed. It can be even oposite to that . So peace needs to found by us.

The psychological meaning that the individual assigns to the physical pain signal will determine whether they simply feel pain (Ouch, this hurts!) or experience suffering (Because I hurt, something awful or terrible is happening!). Although pain and suffering are often used interchangeably, there is an important distinction that needs to be made when dealing with chronic pain. Pain is an unpleasant signal telling people that something is wrong with their body.