Now that we have made the first step in refoming our heath care system, how long before we can finish the job?

The health care bill, as flawed as it may be in many ways contains many benefits.

The insurance companies will no longer be able to collect money from you only to drop you if you become seriously ill.

People who have existing medical problems will no longer be denied access.

We will not have to live with the fear of financial ruin due to cancelled insurance or denied claims.

But the cost of health care must be contained, something that is lacking in the bill. But with our without this bill, health care costs were spinning out of control and we will have to find a way to address this before the insurance companies and hospitals bankrupt the nation.

How long will it take us to wake up and cut the insurance industry out of the loop. They serve no function but administrative and there must be a cheaper way to accomplish this.

Many argue to single payer which would accomplish this. Insurance companies run around 25% administrative cost when Medicare handles their claims for a fraction of that cost.

Or would you prefer a simple non-profit entity to process medical claims for the doctors and hospitals, saving billions?

• Typo

"Insurance companies run around 25% administrative cost when Medicare handles their claims for a fraction of that cost."

Dude, Medicare is the most miss used and abused program in the entire federal government! I work in health care and I see hundreds of people miss use and abuse Medicare every year.

The 3 biggest problems that I see would be easy to fix-if congress had the balls to do it.

1. No co-pay. If it is free to go to ER, why should you take off work early to go to the doctor ($100) instead of the ER? ($750)

2. Many people have no respect for something that they do not have to pay for. Make them pay at least some of the cost of Medicare. Many of the people who do not pay anything for their health care abuse it big time. I watched a girl take her baby to 7 doctors before it was 8 weeks old. And there is nothing wrong with the baby! Any idea how much it cost Medicare? Over $5K. How much did it cost the mother? ZERO!

3. Medicare has NO system in place to stop people from abusing the system. They ca literally go to 4 or 5 doctors IN THE SAME DAY if they want for the same complaint. Hey, If one doctor of ER does not give you the pain meds you want-just go someplace else and tell a different/better lie!

And now a bit of reality..

Your claims can be denied exactly like they were before. And before you push too hard for a purely government program, remember that government programs refuse treatment more often than private insurance companies do.

The individual will be responsible for a greater amount of any hospital bill, even while they're seeing record increases in premiums. Which means more people will be bankrupt from medical expense than before.

There are no benefits in this program for 99% of working Americans.

1. Read your contract before you sign it. Then that won't be a problem anymore.

2. Since when are we allowed to force companies to accept your business?

3. Read your contract.

4. Yeah, high taxes are really cutting costs.

5. Good, let's ruin an entire industry. That should do wonders for our economy. And just to benefit some people who don't want to work hard.

6. Medicare is terrible.

7. I'd rather have people pay for themselves. If you don't have the money for it, you don't deserve it.

i like your question - this is amazingly exciting. i like Blake's quote - that he would desire to create. I write poetry and that i constantly think of of my poems as my creations. i think of while Blake wrote "i won't be able to reason and learn; my company is to Create", he's basically announcing that he will create some thing new in accordance to his perspectives and not think of roughly the way it suits in with the different structures. he's basically going his very own way - to the beat of a various drum. I additionally like Hermann Hesse's quote - that we've the actual international interior us - certainly in Judaism - each and each human existence is considered a separate international - this is the reason there is the quote that in case you shop a existence (person) this is comparable to saving the international. i think of those are efficient insights and expenditures and that i've got not any difficulty incorporating them into my thinking. the main suitable ingredient all and sundry can do is shop an open ideas and learn - existence is a experience and studying is the foremost ingredient.

A bigger flaw in this bill is that a lot of the bill doesn't take effect until 2014. However, since they did pass a bill they can improve upon it when problems do arise. They can also repeal parts that didn't work as expected. So, I think it will be a work in progress for a while.

I view this bill as more of health insurance reform as opposed to health care reform I do think it is the first step in the right direction. Of course it is not a perfect bill. There will be flaws with any system that is created, but our current system is not working and does need to be fixed and I am glad we are at least moving in some direction to change this. I really would like to see a single payer system but I don't think we are going to get that anytime soon.

• Mike S

My goodness you certainly have the party line down pat. Don't you think that you should wait at least until we get all these great benefits in 4 more years before you start pushing for the rest of the unknown package? Just a thought. You have a really liberal day now

Just another government entitlement by progressives that's gonna help facilitate a larger population dependent of the government. Thanks for enlightening us though! Hope your ready to bend over and take it up the rear cause that's what's gonna happen with this one! It always does! As a medical professional, Medicare is NOT the picture of efficiency and cost savings you like to think it is.

• Scott

The economy is already in dire straights, unemployment and underemployment are in the 17% range, and you want to cut out an entire industry and put thousands more out of work?

not effective until 2014 or new president can stomp the shuite out of it.