Can you explain the meaning of Romans 1:24-28?

First, I would just like to say that I am not trying to start an argument here. I am a lesbian and am sincerely looking for some answers and feedback.

Second, I am not looking to be "preached" at, not am I looking for any "nasty" words of condemnation or put-downs.

What I am looking for is sincere feedback on these verses and what they mean to you. Please back up your answers with proof if you would. I am looking for answers on both sides of the fence.

Thank you for your feedback and God Bless!

Romans 1:24-28 (King James Version)

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;

Clint -

I became a born-again Christian when I was a child at the age of 7. My father was a pastor for many years and I have grown up in the Christian church. I know God's love and what he has done for me.. he continues to amaze me with the miracles he has provided in my life. I thank him for that. I truly understand his love for me and that deepens my love for him. However, I recently have "come out of the closet" and have been told all my life that homosexuality is wrong. Therefore, I am sincerely looking for some guidance and feedback from others on these verses. I'm sorry you feel the way you do and feel the need to put other Christians down who are sincerely looking for help and God's guidance. I will continue to seek God's will on this and I really appreciate those of you who have given me your honest opinion on these verses and for the links you have provided me to look at! Thank you!

• pj
    Favorite Answer

hi hon. first....i think first you have to understand that if paul had known at the time the theological importance his words were going to take on in the future he might have been more clear in his use of words. if he were to have known that the context in which he was writing was to be expanded in later days to include all contexts....i'm sure he would have been more careful.

the Bible has to be taken as a whole. you cannot just pick something...anything out and call it a truth of truths and a be all end all. the truth is...2000 years later anyone who thinks they know exactly what was on paul's mind at the time he wrote this letter to the romans is kidding himself. we can speculate and that is all.

as one who loves the Bible and studies it in quite some depth, i am always looking for the bigger picture. just what are the important ideas that God wants us to take from it.

the first, and greatest, commandment is love God with all your heart, He is the only God and is your creator. loving God means loving His creation. what He has made is made of Himself. you cannot love God and hate what is Him. so, love is the answer, the way and the truth.

paul does speak of sexual inequity. i think, this is just my thinking, that what he is saying is a pretty universal admonition against putting anything before your love of God. when you love your sexual partner with the love He has given to you, it's impossible for me to imagine that being sin. if you are just having sex for the pleasure of it, without God being a part of your sexual encounter, then you are misusing it. then it can become a problem. Jesus says that he who looks upon a woman with lust in his heart has already committed adultery in his heart. i think the same thing goes for us lesbians and gay men....if we look upon others as sex objects, we are not seeing them in the light of God....we are seeing them carnally.

some of paul's admonitions seem to be directed at us...with the same caveat that he admonishes our heterosexual counterparts. we should not feed our lusts, but feed our love. paul also tells us that it is better to marry than to "burn with passion." i think here he is saying that while abstention may very well be the best way for some to live, it isn't for others. for those who need to express their love through sex, it is better for them to do so than to lose their focus on God by thinking about and desiring sexual release all the time.

there just simply is no one size fits all answer to these questions. that's why God wrote the new covenant on all our hearts, so you would know how to live your life and i, who is different than you, would know how to live my life. your relationship with Jesus is personal, individual...He speaks to you in the language you understand...no one can interpret that for you, it's between you and Him.

much love and hope. pj <hope i didn't preach too much>

Source(s): me...an affirmed transsexual
  • ?

Romans 24

Hi, your wish is our command. I looked at several English translations and some commentaries on http://bible.cc/romans/1-26.htm, and it seems that one of them at least clearly takes 1:26 to be literally saying that the women are having sex with each other. I wonder if this is what is worrying you. So I checked the original Greek, and that is not the case. Whereas in 1 27 Paul is condemning men scr*e*wing other men in so many words, in 1 26 he just says that the women are doing some against nature. I suppose it is quite possible he meant that they are licking (or whatever) other women, but I do not see how we can be sure that THIS is what he meant. Could it not mean that he is condemning women performing fellatio on, or getting themselves sodomized by, men? Maybe this is not as likely, but I do not see how we can be sure.

This verse is the reply to the query, "in which does religion come from" Faith does NOT come from: a million) The "will of the flesh" (John a million:thirteen) two) You don't inherit religion out of your mum and dad three) Faith isn't shaped by way of memorization of scripture (John five:39) four) Faith does now not come from an emotional feeling of spirituality. The ONLY manner that you're going to have religion is by way of finding out the Spirit's authorship of the holy scriptures. This translation of "pay attention" honestly is the phrase "hearkening" from the earlier verse in different translations, which means that although you're a deaf man or woman you'll be able to nonetheless be trained the message, despite the fact that you did not "pay attention it".

From my understanding of it, it's a letter to the Romans talking about past events and how people rejected the Christian faith. But again, this is in reference to the old testament which Jesus does not follow.

Also, Christians are always taking things said in the bible by leaders too literally. If someone in the church tells a few trouble causing women to be silent, they think that means for women of the faith to remain silent for all time when clearly, the reason the man has said this is to quite down a few trouble causers who happened to be female.

Too many people take words spoken, not by God, or Jesus, out of context and make them into rules to live your life by. It's very important to understand context and the reason why people said what they said. Otherwise you end up following rules that were never intended to be followed forever, and maybe even disobeying rules that were meant to be followed.

• Clint

You are looking to be preached at, and you are looking for nasty words of condemnation and put-downs. Otherwise, you wouldn't put this citation up for commentary, and if you were honest, you would have included it instead of making others look it up.

Jesus never said word one about orientation. That Paul or any other neurotic half-baked witless follower of Jesus said something like this matters not one whit to me.

And how dare you say "God Bless" when all you wanted to do was stir up a hornet's nest. You should be ashamed of yourself for your utterly un-Christian attitudes, but trifles like you never are ashamed of yourselves. You just smile smugly and pretend to love. You wouldn't know God's love if Jesus slapped you across the face.

Am I condemning enough for you? It is what you wanted, isn't it?

ill get back tou in a bit, i think iv heard this verse beforebut I never really dig deep down into it

Heres a documentry i found that compleatly explains all the bible refrences to gays it really helped me.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04AVRslVRbY

Do not have sex with same sex people.