Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 10 years ago

Should the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim simplify their name?

I think they should go back to being the California Angels, but the Anaheim Angels is still better than what they are now.

Thoughts?

Best Answer

I agree. California Angels was a good name, and I have no earthly idea why they needed to change it.They were originally the LA Angels, but California seems to be a more logical name. I live in Northern California, and if they were the CA Angels, I might consider rooting for them on occasion, because they would be in my geographical area. But if they call themselves the LA Angels or the Anaheim Angels, they're basicall depriving themselves of millions of potential fans around the state.

"Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" is just a joke. Angel fans should write letters to the team's owner and tell him how stupid that sounds.

• Marco

Seeming the Angels are almost dead last in merchandise sales, they don't draw a road crowd like big market franchises do, and they only really get on the national TV games when they play the Red Sox or the Yankees, it's completely stupid and pointless for them to have the words Los Angeles in front of Angels of Anaheim. They don't even play in Los Angeles county!

Having the A's be called, the greater San Fransisco Bay Area A's of Oakland, makes more sense than having a team be called Los Angeles anything when they play in the Orange County city of Anaheim.

Having that name alienates the Orange County fans, it makes real LA sports people hate the Angles (like Dodgers fans), and the only person this seems to make a lick of sense to is Artie Moreno.

If Artie wanted a real LA team, why doesn't he just buy the Dodgers? I'm sure they will be for sale in just a few short months.

It is a stupid name. The Los Angels Angels of Anaheim which means The The Angels Angels of Anaheim.

It could be worse: Los Angeles California Angels of Anaheim

I agree with you 100%. Either CA or Anaheim. They have ZERO to do with Los Angeles. They're not even in Los Angeles County. I have yet to hear one valid explanation as to how having "Los Angeles" in their name makes them money. Moreno is an idiot.

PS - the guy at the bottom, Matthewf is claiming Anaheim is part of Los Angeles. It's not. It's two completely different towns about 35 miles apart. They're not even in the same county. Unfortunately there's probably a lot of uninformed people who think this like this guy.

I agree. I liked it better when they were the California Angels. 'The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim' doesn't make any sense Anaheim is a part of Los ANgeles, but,, they can't be from 2 places at the same time!!

As long as the fans buy into it, they're not going to change.

The name was adopted when Artie Moreno bought the team....Moreno, a shrewd businessman with a marketing background, knew that simply adding the "Los Angeles" to the name would mean additional TV and Radio revenue.

I've never been an Angels fan, but I had a lot of respect for the team since the Autry days. If I were a fan and saw "Los Angeles Angels" everywhere except in my own stadium, I'd be pretty upset...You may think it sounds silly and I may think the same, but so long as MLB and the team's fans bought into it, Artie can literally laugh his way to the bank.

• Fungo

The Los Angeles part of the name was done for marketing purposes to make it sound like the Angels are part of the greater Los Angeles area. The City of Anaheim already sued and lost in a naming rights case vs. the Angels.

The principle owner, Arte Moreno, is very skilled in the maketing end of the business. Even if the name is awkward to some and irritates others, he has every right to name his team within reasonableness and legal bounds.

Think of it as your not agreeing with the name of someone's baby. The parents are responsible for deciding the name of their own child.

Also, if you consider some other recent new MLB teams names, one may wonder why states are now used instead of city names. Minnesota Twins, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers and Florida Marlins (does that include Tampa Bay?). Using states makes it appear like college team names.

That's their name but most people end up shortening it to Los Angeles Angels. They had to put Anaheim at the back because legally, they had to. Not sure the exact reason, I think it has something to do with their lease agreement with the stadium.

There's no will need to purchase expensive equipment and you can quickly download and install on the net Telly application. Maybe they're out of state or they're out the country.