Earthquakes and more earthquakes?

There have been many earthquakes this year already and people are seriously beginning to wonder. Check out these wikipedia pages:

2009 earthquake list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_earthquakes

and compare it to this:

2010 earthquake list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_earthquakes

Today on CNN, there was a video about how it seems that this isn't just coincidence. The meteorologist said that once one plate moves, it stresses other plates and causes them to move too, causing more earthquakes. (Obviously. That makes sense.)

Anyway, it's interesting to see that despite the evidence, some say that we haven't had an abnormal amount of earthquakes this year.

What do you think about these earthquakes? Does it have an effect on your religious beliefs?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

Same amount of earthquakes, different places. In this case, more habitable places causing more deaths. Which is all I can make from the links you provide.

See this place:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/faq/?faqID=110

Unless you think the United States Geological service is lying to you?

Source(s): I also don't see it in these frequency tables: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/... Now, confronted with rational evidence, will you still cling to your superstitions? Because that would mark you as delusional.
  • 10 years ago

I think it's the frequency with which they are happening, along with the death-toll, that is worrying. Haiti on January 14 (scale - 7); Chile on 27 February (scale - 6.2); Turkey on 8 March (scale 6.2) and Sumatra on 6 April (scale 7.8). Regardless of whether this is perceived as nothing abnormal, the effect on human lives has been devastating. It will only take an earthquake in a densely populated area such as the U.S.A. for some people to wake up.

One of the many signs of the end of the age is "great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven" (Luke 21:11). Needless to say, there have been great earthquakes, famines and pestilences for the last 2,000 years. What demands our attention, from God's point of view, is that despite all the trials and tribulations that will culminate in the end of the age, those who have placed their faith in Christ Jesus as Lord and Saviour, and who stand firm, need not fear.

"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. At that time they will see the Son of Man (Jesus Christ) coming in a cloud with power and great glory. When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near" (Luke 21:25-28).

I suspect things are going to get an awful lot worse before they start to get better.

• Susan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Sound like disaster zones. I am not expert but here is the big picture: First the earth has shaked a swarm of quakes at subduction zone off shore of OR since few weeks ago, then Columbia and several horrible 6.5 in Alaska at -165 longtitude immediately followed by Chicago. So i think eyes are still nervous watching areas between OR offshore and Yellowstone, but never know like extra one in IL. It's a part of the whole now.

• 10 years ago

An interesting question.

Matt 24:6-8

YOU are going to hear of wars and reports of wars; see that YOU are not terrified. For these things must take place, but the end is not yet.

7 “For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another. 8 All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress.

As you see earthquakes in one place after another are part of a composite sign that Jesus gave to his disciples so discerning ones could recognize where we are in the stream of time as regards God's purpose for the Earth and mankind.

Other indications that we are living in what the Bible calls "The Last Days" can be found at

2Timothy 3:1-5

But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away."

For more information about the "Last Days" or the signs given in the Bible please check out web-site below.

Source(s): www.watchtower.org
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Agreed, the day of Jehovah is coming, its right at our door step, but we have to be awake so that when it comes (as a thief) we are not caught off guard. However, as with signs of a thief in the area (other peoples houses broken into, odd cars/vans in the area and so on) we have signs (as was brought out in other comments) that that day is coming quickly, and we need to stay awake! stand firm! and try to help others see this as well!!

• 10 years ago

Oh no the end of the werld!

DId you see on July 22, 2009 the sun just totally disappeared?

We must've mad the sky god angry and soon poof we will all be gone.

Why does the sky god shake the earth and take away the sun?

My mom told me that when the water falls from the sky the sky god is crying.

Too bad we silly humans will never ever ever ever be able to understand any of the things that happen here on this flat planet that we call the Earth,

• 10 years ago

Earthquakes in one place after another is a sign we are in the last days.

It is prophecy being fulfilled.

Jehovah said he would rock the nations and the good things will come in...Into worship of him.

• 10 years ago

Some years there are a bit more, some a bit less.

In a hundred years, your great-grandchildren are going to post similar questions about the 2110 statistics.

Earthquakes happened before life on earth started, and will happen after it ends.

• 10 years ago

What do I think? I think that the Word of God is being fulfilled before our very eyes and this is an exciting time of anticipation!

Luke 21:28, "And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh."

• 10 years ago

excellent, may the day of jehovah grow nearer!!

it gets me excited because a peice of prophecy is being unvailed..

haha.. satan has just destroyed this system of things, im only 19 and im already tired of life, how much for the elderly who have been waiting for 60 years or more,

I can't wait

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.