What is a good long range caliber?

Im looking to buy a new rifle and i would like to know which caliber would be the most "flat shooting" at long ranges. something that travels relatively flat and straight.

What are the best ones in between .243 to somewhere around 7mm-08 or .308

Also could you recommend a good rifle that is roughly around $1500 or less. (and that is known for its accuracy)

Favorite Answer

For $1,500 I'd go with a Remington 700 Tactical in either a 308 or a 300 Win Mag with a nice Leupold 10x42 Ultra M3A scope with a Mil-dot recticle. That oughtta Git-R-Done!

Source(s): Do your part, join the NRA today!

a Remington 700 SPS chambered for .308 winchester is known for match shooting to a good 600-800 yards, but farther then that, I'd say look at the .300 winchester magnum for up to 1000 yards, the rifle will cost around $450-$500, then with good optics and a bipod, I'd say you'd be into the $1200-$1400 range, depending on scope choice, but you should look into a scope that magnifies to 10X-12X, any higher isn't needed for anything other then varmint hunting.

• rick

I would go with a .270 win short mag or a 300 win short mag. I have a Browning A bolt in 300 wsm with a Leopold 50 mm scope and it is a awesome rifle , I have right around 1500 in it.. You can buy one for around 600 to 700 bucks. so with the 1500 you have you can put a good $800.00 50 mm scope on it.

It all depends on what your using it for. Fast and flat is good, but it has to carry the bullet of the proper weight and construction to do the job you want done. For example a .220swift shoots fast and flat but doesn't carry much of a slug while doing it.A .300 Ultra mag is also fast and flat, but you wouldn't want to take it varminting, at least very long.

i would say a remington 700 .308 or 30-06 will give you a little bit more accuracy and range with a nice Leopold scope you really dont need nothing over a 3x9 enless u are shootin over 500 yrds

Of what you mentioned, the .308 is my pick and the pick of a whole bunch of long range target shooters. Its a very popular round in those circles. My favorite flat shooter is the .270 though.

Look at the Remington 700 and with your higher budget, I would consider a Sako. Finnish made, they are superior to most of whats on the market for the price. Tikka is a comparable brand, but less expensive and made by Sako. Sako guarantees a sub MOA group @100 yards and is proofed at the factory to prove it.

Try 30-06.

Source(s): Ruger4life