Alan asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 10 years ago

Why is there still a shortage of .380 ammo?

• Reb
    Favorite Answer

hoarders, both answers are right on. We have new pistols models coming out like the Ruger LCP and people stock up on ammo. Since the was never a big demand for .380 supply was low but fine now there is supply needs to be built. It's fine around me tough. Most is either cheap target ammo or Hornady critical defense.

The truth is nobody really knows why there is a shortage on ammo. Where I live in Pa there is a lot of ammo that is hard to find and when you do find some the price is very high. 25acp,32acp,32 h&r mag, and 380acp are all hard to find where I live. Yea there are some gun shops that have them but I could find them all most any where a few years ago.I find it odd that most small pistol ammo is hard to find. I also find it odd that its hard to find guns anymore. I was just out looking for a small pocket pistol and out of six gun shops only two had any to show me.And there was not a big selection at the two gun shops that had them.It would not surprise me if the government was paying gun manufactures to not make ammo and guns. They did it to the farmers.If you had a ammo co. and you were selling out every week you would start making more ammo not the same amount. Even if you need to buy more equipment and hire more people you would do it that how companies grow.I think there is more to it then supply and demand but I don't know what it is. Your guess is as good as mine,

• MJ

It is because .380 ACP, while popular at this time, would come no where near the sales numbers of 9x19, .40 S&W, .45 ACP etc.

The manufacturer's concentrate on producing the most popular calibers, this is how they make the most money. So .380 probably only gets a short production run each year at most manufacturers.

There are two small wars going on which will eventually end, and this civilian "run on ammo" will not last forever. After a time ammo demand will drop.

A smart manufacturer won't over-expand, as this will be detrimental to their long term health as a company. (They will have to invest capital to expand that may not be returned, leaving them in major debt. Hiring and laying off workers also costs major $$$.) A good business doesn't plan a year ahead, it plans a decade ahead.

Which brings me to another point...Would an ammo manufacturer even be able to expand their manufacturing facilities in time to meet this demand, demand that could taper off in the relatively near future? Not likely.

If McCain had won, this "run on ammo" would have never happened. This is a variable that cannot be depended on in your future business plans...And that goes for an Obama victory with resulting "run on ammo" as well.

Many ammo manufacturer's claim to be running flat out, 24/7 at this time.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): shortage 380 ammo: https://biturl.im/X3mJr
  • larry

In addition to most of the other answers given, I wish to point out that the 380ACP ammo is made on the same equipment as the 9mm Parabellum ammo, usually in January, by setting case length a bit shorter and loading to lower power levels. This means guessing at demand, which has risen sharply in recent years, and shop-time competition with the 9mm sales which are much larger.

Add to this that the public has been given new high quality 380 guns lately, the round is marginally adequate for home and personal defense, it is fun to shoot as there is little recoil which means popcorn-like shooting sessions at ranges which consume ammo dramatically without wearing on shooters.

The 380 is easy to reload, but typical shooters seldom are the "reloader type of folks". This is unfortunate, as most 380 ammo is 40% reduced in power to protect old poorly built import guns, some of which are still out there in use. HOWEVER, the Hornady Handloading Manual publishes full power SAAMI spec loads for modern 380's in good condition. This includes specs for using Hodgdon Universal Clays powder (not Universal, which is something else) for ammo with almost NO MUZZLE FLASH for use in darkened rooms without blinding the shooter! The lighter JHP bullets have reduced wall penetration, particularly the Sierra ones, with adequate penetration of heavy clothing.

I live in the Seattle WA area. Ammo is still scarce but seems like maybe (just maybe) its starting to get better. Cabelas occasionally has ammo available online - even .22LR sometimes, but it sells out very quickly and you either have to pick it up in store or pay a huge shipping fee. A few weeks ago I was at a farm & feed store and noticed 5 cans of Federal .22LR 325 packs on the shelf. I grabbed 3 cans (the store limit) and a few minutes later there was someone who had grabbed the other two and it was gone just like that. There's a local gun store that has their inventory online. I check daily and have picked up a few boxes of .22LR, one box of 9mm and a couple boxes of .40S&W that way. Usually the standard ammo sells out very quickly even with their limit of 1 per household per day. They did get a big shipment of aluminum case .40 caliber that took about a week to sell completely. The best advice I can give is to politely ask various stores when & how they receive their inventory. For example the local Big 5 sporting goods store gets shipments every Thursday evening and has it on the shelf Friday morning when the doors open.

Traditionally there hasn't been a huge demand for it. The situation is fairly recent, and the companies haven't caught up.

People stock it up when they find it, because the shortage feeds on itself. I participate too... What else do you do? "Oh, look, it is .380ACP, the ammo I haven't seen in six months... I think I'll buy a single box to go shooting tomorrow." ...No, that's short sighted. You would buy as much as you reasonably could, and sit on it, because it is rare and valuable to you.

Tahoeguy brings up a good point, also. These little Ruger LCP and other such pistols are becoming quite popular. The "pocket auto" is back in style. They consume a lot of .380ACP as these new owners want to try their pistols and get a supply of ammo.

Source(s): Hint: Ask around for "9mm Browning". That is a European name for what we call ".380ACP". Most people don't ask for it, many gun store employees don't know it is the same thing, and as a result .380ACP can sit on the shelf untouched because of unfamiliar labeling.

I would not say there is a shortage. Its available with little trouble where i live. The main issue is that there are a huge influx of new models of .380 chambered pistols.