How did Noah know that the entire world was flooded?

I mean, assuming that Noah had fairly good eyesight and that the world was round at the time he could have only seen that a relatively small area of the world was covered with water at the time. He had no way of knowing how bad the flood was in other countries. Why would he have written that the entire earth was flooded when he had no way of knowing that?

Same thing with how deep the water was. I'm sure he didn't have accurate measuring equipment with him at the time. How did he know how far down it went?

Favorite Answer

He didn't. Noah is a made up story used to teach the need to follow the instructions of God. Think about it logically for a second... could EVERY animal fit inside the ark, using the measurements recorded in the Bible? Nope. And it wasn't just 2 of each animal. He had to take 7 each of the clean animals and 5 each of the unclean animals.

God sent a rainbow to be a symbol of His promise not to flood the earth again. so the physics of refracting light didn't exist until then? I doubt that too.

It's a good story, good principles, but it's just that, a story.

• Sandra

It did,t happen.If God can create or destroy entire galaxies with no effort at all,how come he had to get some poor slob to build a ship,transport millions of animals from all over the planet to this ship,flood the entire earth,drain the water and re-distribute the animals again,whats the point?How did flightless dodos get back to Mauritius,the army ants back to the Amazon rain forest?The OT cannot agree with itself whether there were two animals or seven of each species.Noah's ark did,t happen,its a ridiculous story and a tale made up just to entertain children.

You make a very good point. A point that makes a lot of sense and worthy of others hearing it. Sadly, it has a simple answer; God told him. Any rational, well thought out question like that will always have that simple answer. The Bible is inspired by god, therefore cannot be wrong. I love the question though. I'm going to use it next time I debate someone, well if that's ok with you. I'm curious to see how others answer it.

His world was flooded from horizon to horizon, his world was gone, that's all he needed to know. You must also keep in mind, Noah was not a scientist, he was simply a faithful follower.

alrighty then, Noah was told to build an Ark, a Big One....he was ridiculed day after day by the township, he told them it would begin raining for 40 days/40 nights......it did, so why then would Noah DOUBT as God told him the earth would be completley flooded.....so shall it be as in the days of Noah, when the end is near, scoffing/ridiculing/un belief....see a pattern with you all....gotta Love your "measuring equipment" challenge, but this is coming from evolutionists who actually buy into "man's " CARBON DATING" equipment LOL.....Peace/Love God Bless

Source(s): not peRfecT/Just Forgiven SDA former catholic

I believe that most of the time when the word the " whole world" were used it referred to what is said as to have been the known world of the time

Source(s): the Spirit within

He did not know. According to archaeologists the 'Great Flood' was a localized event in that region.

IT wasn't the entire planet, it was the world that people knew about.

God told him to make the ark before the flood and bring two of every animal

I've always been told that God told him.

Source(s): The story of Noah really makes me doubt the Bible