Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

Computer people another question for you....?

I had a virus/problem with my computer, I took my computer to our major "office supply company" to clean it up, they run specials once in awhile. After my computer was so called "cleaned up" I went to pick it up, upon reconnecting this computer and using it for the first time ( I had Norton installed) within the first hour of using it, BANG red box pops up stating you have a virus, I called back to the store, they said "Bring it back in" I did. After the so called clean up again, I picked the computer up, brought it back home, reconnected it and again the same thing happened, "Bring it back" I did. So this so called office supply store called in a specialist........he stated "The 2 prior clean up's did not catch this one bad virus you had I will clean it up"...at this point I also stated the fan is making a noise please install a fan I will pay you. I got a call stating they did a complete deletion of everything like the computer was new...as they said "Like right out of the box". When I brought this computer in my disc for the Norton was in the tower, when I got it home to install the Norton again, it was not in the tower, called the store, they said "Its up here" meaning I had to drive 40 miles round trip to pick it up. I get home with the computer set it up AGAIN, this time the manager picked up the computer, I got another call "Its ready" I go into town to get the computer ask " What do I owe" "Nothing" "I must owe something you installed a new fan'' the employee checked and no new fan had been installed. Yes I was ready to blow my stack. I stood there while the new fan was installed, brought the computer back and its still screwed up. A specialist came out hooked up to the computer for 6 and 1/2 hours, speakers do not work now. He said he will bring out speakers 3 days ago, right now I have no speakers NO PHONE call from the office, nor him...I tried calling the numbers on his business card, there is no recorder to leave a message. I called the main office, and I am getting the run around to many "cooks" in the kitchen...WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO AT THIS POINT? The computer is VERY slow, even though I have DSL...when I click on lets say to get my mail, I have to click and wait 2 minutes.....click, click, click....nothing....PLEASE HELP. I looked up on line complaints about this company OH yes there they are. We live in the foothills, don't have the option of to many places to "help" with computers....any recourse...and thank you for taking the time to read this!!!!!!!!!!!!

• C-Man
    Favorite Answer

Unfortunately at this point there's no telling what steps they've taken trying to fix the computer, so the current problems might be completely unrelated to the original infection. If there were hardware issues like needing a new fan, other components might not have been reconnected properly.

For starters, I'd run Malwarebytes anti-malware, it does a pretty good job of cleaning spyware. Of course I can't imagine they didn't already do this, but who knows?

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware...

I'd check Craigslist for your local area... there might be a freelance computer technican who can help.

You didn't say what computer manufacturer, what Windows Operating system or whether this is a new or used computer. I am trying to figure out why you took it to an office supply company and not a computer shop. Was it under warranty. I would totally reinstall the operating system doing a clean install. There are two installs, a clean install and a dirty install which messes the computer up. If you have a University near by, find out if they have someone who fixes computers. Check the classified ads in a local newspaper also. You can file a complaint with the BBB, but don't expect anything to become of it, since they did try to fix the computer. Remember that just because a business sells computers, that does not make them an authorized repair center for them. Sorry I can't help much even though I do repair computers.

Not sure what you're actually asking. If after the "Like right out of the box" (assuming they completely reinstalled Windows) it still is slow then it's probably hardware related. Hauling a computer 40 miles round trip several times isn't that good for it and could easily cause hardware problems. Although, obviously, I would avoid ever taking a computer to that place again. Might just want to look into buying a new computer...

You could most likely fix it, but it seems like there are so many problems with it right now and your only specialist in town doesn't know what he's doing. So you might just be better off spending some money and getting something new. OR, and this is what I would recommend, finding some place that can actually help you.

download drivers: Sounds like this is the problem There was probably nothing wrong with those other speakers. You could reset the computer right back to the original set up. Consider downloading a back-up copy of all your computer set on a back-up usb flashdrive or cd disk so if you ever had problems like this again then you would have the back-up usb flashdrive or cd disk to get things back the way they were once before. Also, if computer doesn't work at all then the power supply needs to be replaced for the type of computer tower you have, but that sounds like not your problem. Your problem: you probably need to reset computer back to the original settings. Also, go into the bios after turning on the tower continue pushing escape goes into the bios and see if settings things were like it was before, do not change things unless it has been change by the workers who were working on the tower. Sorry that these were not too much help, but maybe you can call the workers and ask them if they have changed any settings in the bios. With that said goodluck in seeking answers to your computer questions.

Report them to the Better Business Bureau AND the authorities right now. Let you local or state newspapers know about their terrible service and business practices so the article that the paper does will really hurt them and they will finally do something about it and own up to what they should really be doing.

I could fix it but It would be impossible to direct you over yahoo answers...sorry