my radiator fan runs constantly?

I have a 2000 ford windstar and the fan now runs constantly. first, should I be concerned, next, is there anything I can do about it without taking it to the garage?

as bad as this may sound, I am not very familiar with the ins and outs of the vehicles. So when I am told to check the realys, I have no idea where to begin. I am sure I could figure it out with a little guidance.

Favorite Answer

There is a relatively inexpensive electrical heat relay sensor that is threaded in the motor watar- jacket that switches the fans on when the coolant reaches a set temperature. You could go to a library and find where the sensor is in a Motors, Chilton's or Haynes servise book. I'd take it to a private mechanic to have the sensor changed. Ford Windstar's are real sweet-hearts to work on under the hood.

As long as the thermostat is working and the temperature gage on the dash is reading normally you are not overcooling the engine.

Source(s): Alignment, suspension and brake shop.

That is an electronic problem in the sensor. Ford often have those issues. I had a Ford and the fan never shut off. Okay. It was ice because the car never overheated. Aside form that, I ran the car to the ground and the fan was still turning lol. No big deal except that the garage will charge you an arm and a leg to find the faulty problem.

Source(s): The Undertaker

I had a similar problem with my ford. Check relays, and sensors for water temp. Over cooling of the engine is not a good thing. A constantly running fan will also reduce gas mileage and cause your alternator to constantly put out more voltage to keep up with the demand.

What work was done on the vehicle lately before the fan began to run constantly? One concern would be a drastically shortened life of the radiator fan motor. The other my be overcooling of the engine which may affect gas mileage and emissions. it's possible that a stuck relay may be causing the fan to be continously on. check the proper relay for correct operation and take it from there. let me know how it goes.

Source(s): Diesel Tech