Neptune's large internal energy source?

4) What is one hypothesis invoked to explain Neptune’s large internal energy source? My answer: Many explanations have been proposed, one concerns the convection present in the lower atmosphere, which causes gravity waves to break above the tropopause. Source: McHugh, J. P. (September 1999). "Computation... show more 4) What is one hypothesis invoked to explain Neptune’s large internal energy source?
My answer: Many explanations have been proposed, one concerns the convection present in the lower atmosphere, which causes gravity waves to break above the tropopause.
Source:
McHugh, J. P. (September 1999). "Computation of Gravity Waves near the Tropopause". American Astronomical Society, DPS meeting #31, #53.07.
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1999DPS....31.5307M

My prof responds:
"The reference you cited did not answer the question that was asked, which related to the source of Neptune’s excess energy. While gravitational waves (which have never been observed) may carry energy out through Neptune’s troposphere, they are not the source of the excess energy."

Is he really correct?
1 answer 1