75 year old wants to take citizenship test?

hi my grandfather is 75 years old, he's been a legal resident for 5 and a half years and wants to take the citizenship test to become an american citizen, can he take the test in spanish because his english is not that great and is afraid of not passing it

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Part of the test is showing the ability to speak, read and write in English.

There are waivers for language skills for senior citizens, but they have to have lived in the US for 15/20 years. However, he can obtain study guides in Spanish.

From the USCIS website:

Your English skills will be tested in the following ways:

* Reading. To test your ability to read in English, you must read one sentence, out of three sentences, in a manner suggesting to the USCIS officer that you understand the meaning of the sentence.

* Writing. To test your ability to write in English, you must write one sentence, out of three sentences, in a manner that would be understandable as written to the USCIS officer.

* Speaking. Your ability to speak English is determined by your answers to questions normally asked by USCIS officers during the naturalization eligibility interview regarding the information on your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Civics. During your interview, the USCIS officer will ask you to orally answer a set of civics questions. You must answer 6 out of 10 civics questions correctly to achieve a passing score.

• 1 decade ago

Isn't part of the requirement to learn the language?? Grandpa needs to get busy.

• 1 decade ago

i was going to say the above but i thought i might get banned

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes he can take it in spanish.=] hope he passes. my dad did=]

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • What's the point? He wont be alive much longer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.