Christians who to celebrate Passover and not Easter?

To note 2 thing before I ask this....I ask not because I am making fun of you for your stance but because I am curious. Jews I think I am fairly certain that you celebrate Passover because you don't believe in Jesus as God. But if I am wrong you may answer and tell me why. Christians who celebrate passover this is for you: Passover was the time when blood was marked on the doorway, just before the slaves left egypt. Pharos son died and that was the last straw if you will so that the children of Israel could go free. However wasn't that a foreshadowing of the cross? So if you believe that Jesus is Lord, has died for your sins, and has rose again, why still celebrate Passover when it was full-filled, by a risen Savior? Or has the meaning of Passover changed? Nope not looking to start a fight, but rather to understand.

I get it that Easter is pagan, and had nothing originally to do with Resurection Sunday. But what I don't get is why you don't believe that Passover wasn't nailed to the cross.

• BC
    Favorite Answer

I think you've missed a vital reading of Scripture (or have been led astray about Passover being "nailed to the cross").

Luke 22:15-16 (NKJ) -- Then He [Jesus] said to them, "With fervent desire I have desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; for I say to you, I will no longer eat of it UNTIL IT IS FULFILLED IN THE KINGDOM OF GOD."

Where do you get the idea that the Passover is fulfilled? Certainly not the Bible! Jesus plainly said it won't be fulfilled until the Kingdom of God. And the Kingdom of God will not come until Christ returns.

Also, Paul says:

1 Corinthians 5:7 (NKJ) -- Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us.

How can Jesus Christ be OUR Passover if we don't OBSERVE Passover???

The Bible makes plain that Christians are to continue to keep God's Holy Days, most especially his most precious pearl, the Passover.

The OT Passover was indeed a foreshadowing of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God. And there is much corresponding symbolism. But just as the Exodus from Egypt was a done deal when the Children of Israel left, yet they were commanded to continue to observe the Passover forever (Exodus 12:24); so too the memorial of Jesus' sacrifice (the Passover) is to continue to be observed by the Children of God.

Israel was told by God to remember his wonderful works. And a key to that memory is his appointed Holy Days and Feasts. Christians too need those memory aides. And Passover is chief among them. And Jesus told us to remember him:

Luke 22:19 -- And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me."

Paul adds his support for this as well:

1 Corinthians 5:7-8 (NKJ) -- Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us. Therefore LET US KEEP THE FEAST, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

.

Source(s): God's Word, The Bible. .

Some Christians do celebrate it - -but on one day, not over a longer period as Jews do. In the Christian calendar it is called (in English) Holy Thursday or "Maundy Thursday" (the latter is I think used more by Church of England?) It is a commemoration of Jesus's own celebration of Passover, which became the beginning of the ritual of the Eucharist- -what most Christians call "the Last Supper" was a Passover Seder. Jesus ate with his disciples before going out to pray in the garden, where he was betrayed and arrested. I think it is because the Good Friday through Easter Sunday period is the most important time of the Christian religion, so that overshadows and transforms the Passover tradition, but does not erase it. However some Christians who want to be connected to the Jewish tradition do actually have a Seder meal that is more in the Jewish tradition.

• robb

Jews celebrate Passover because G-d said to.(Exodus 12:24 And ye shall observe this thing for an ordinance.............for ever. Apparently Christians have a different understanding of "for ever") The fact that Jesus wasn't G-d is irrelevant, in fact there is no belief in Judaism that the Messiah will be G-d.

As for Christians celebrating Passover there are two possibilities: currently Passover Seders are the "in thing" in Christianity with many different churches and denominations having or attempting to have a Seder or in some way recreate the "last supper" I was at a Seder at a Reform synagogue this year and there were two preachers present even there. The second possibility is that some groups understand Luke 22:19 to be a commandment to observe Passover. These groups tend to disagree with your understanding of "full-filled".

Edit: I misread the question slightly. The ones that have a Seder because it is the "in" thing often do observe Easter as well. Many of the second set of groups view Easter as being a Pagan holy day and avoid observing any day they see as connected to Paganism. These often have an assortment of beliefs and it is not uncommon to find a few even in this group that still do both to some extent (may observe "resurrection Sunday but refuse to call it "Easter"). "Jehovahs Witnesses" do not do Easter but have an observance on "Nisan 14" but its funny that their Nisan14 and the Jewish Nisan 14 are sometimes a month apart. You will have to ask them to explain that.

Source(s): ex- Christian

For the first question: Jews do not celebrate Easter because we believe that Jesus was not the son of God. Because we don't believe in him, why should we celebrate him? We acknoledge the existence of Jesus, but believe he was just a man, nothing more.

As to your second question, two things. Only a small part of Christians celebrate Passover. Secondly, passover and easter are only related time wise, and the fact that Jesus was crucified and resurrected during passover. Beyond that, the story of the fleeing of Egypt and the crucifiction are unrelated.

• I hope you consider this - I do a different (how do i put this - ok you know the passage of Jesus saying about Traditions ie; passover being of more important than Honor thy father and mother. and other similar things He said about Traditions and washing the outside of the cup etc.) well I do more of a memorial ? a honor to Jesus in ways much different than what the Church's" teach.

For example tonight (today would be the 3rd day) I will eat fish and unleavened bread - After asking for forgiveness and Gods Mercy ,Grace and Blessings. I will do this Alone - in my Room away from All Others.

I do this for way too many reasons to list here.

I studied the New Testament for well over 10 years along with the old,

I have studied alongside with Pastors (from many Church's and denominations and many great mentors.

• jackie

Either Paul kept God's sabbaths and feast or he lied to the Jews when he said:

I believe all things written in the law. Acts 24:14

I have comitted nothing against the law of the Jews. Acts 25:8

I have comitted nothing against the people or customs of our fathers. Acts 28:17

• FUNdie

I am a Seventh-Day Adventist, and we do not celebrate Easter like other Protestant churches do. What we do to commemorate is that at the TIME of Passover (we don't have a seder or anything), we partake in Communion as Jesus commanded in Matthew 26:26-28. We also have a footwashing service in obedience to John 13:14.

We do not celebrate the Catholic Easter for two reasons:

1) We are told to commemorate His Resurrection through baptism, not by celebrating Easter. (Romans 6:4) When we go down into the water, we join Him in His death, and when we come up out of the water, we are symbolically "resurrected" back to eternal life. We share in His resurrection when we are baptized.

2) Easter (which comes from the name of the goddess "Ishtar") is a pagan festival that was "Christianized" by the early Catholic Church. Eggs, bunnies, and chicks are all pagan fertility symbols, and Ishtar was a fertility goddess. The practice of coloring Easter eggs comes from the pagan practice of coloring eggs red with the blood of babies that were sacrificed to this fertility goddess. It is an abomination to God and has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus Christ our Lord.

People eat ham (a biblically unclean meat) on Easter because it originated with Tammuz, the son of Ishtar/Semiramis. The period of Lent was a 40-day period of fasting and grieving for Tammuz, who was killed by a wild boar. At the end of this period, the people celebrate by eating ham to commemorate victory over the pig that killed him, and the period of Lent comes to an end at the festival of Ishtar (Easter).

Secondly, the reason why we don't celebrate a Jewish Passover is because we DO believe it was "nailed to the cross". The whole point of God having the Israelites practice Passover was to point forward to the Messiah. Now that He has come, it is no longer necessary. God put an end to the old covenant once the "Lamb of God" was slain once for all. To make His point, He tore the veil of the Holiest of Holies in two. The old sacrificial system was now at an end. The blood that the ancient Israelites put over their doorposts represented the blood of Christ, which covers you and protects you. He was the Lamb who was slain for this reason.

They shouldn't.

Passover is a JEWISH holiday, and if you're gonna be Christian, you shouldn't be celebrating it. Christians don't seem to know what everything means, so they just apply what THEY want it to mean, and change everything.

Kinda like, if Jews took over Christmas and made it about the destruction of the Temple or something. Cause that's what THEY wanted it to be about.

Maybe it is celebrated by Christian people because JC celebrated it during the Last Supper.

Also, some believe JC was with Moses on Mt Sanai.

There is no mandated reason that True Christians need celebrate any of the "holy days" of The Nation of Israel... however if one wishes to do so in worship and-or remembrance of what God has done then there is no reason not to.

For those of The True Christian Faith, Easter is The most significant Day. The Day that should be kept Most Holy. Sadly even many of The One True Church do not treat Easter as it should be.