I just bought a front load washing machine...?

Will it damage my new front load machine if I were to use top load detergant?

Thanks

10 Answers

Relevance
  • M M T
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Over time, yes. Once in a while and while taking the proper precautions no.

The HE detergents are high efficiency. That means there is more detergent and less sudsing agents. Front loading machines use so much less water that it is an issue for them to properly rinse out any product that makes a lot of suds.

If you just want to use up what you have, use 1/2 the normal amount and select an extra rinse cycle to make sure it gets rinsed out properly.

Yes, the HE detergents seem to be more expensive at purchase but they require you to use a lot less product so the cost ends up being about the same in the long run.

If you use powdered products, make sure your water temperature is a least warm. Powders do not fully dissolve in cold water and your new front loader has filters in it that your other machine didn't. And these filters can become clogged with the undissolved detergent.

Leaving the door ajar when the unit is not in use is one of the best ways to prevent the stinky front loader issue. Keep the seals and gaskets around the opening clean also. Regular use of white vinegar helps keep water and product deposits from building up inside the machine. My appliance guy recommends washing one load a month with hot water and dishwasher detergent to keep your machine cleaned out and working properly. Just don't wash anything "good" in that load because the dishwasher detergent will bleach. And I'm using more white vinegar in laundry now. It brightens by removing the mineral deposits and doesn't have the possible negative effects of chlorine bleach.

And the clothes do not smell like pickles after they are dried.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

You don't have to use HE detergent however, your clothes could have soap remaining even after rinsing and may not be a clean as they would be if you used the HE products. The HE stands for high efficiency. HE products are designed for front loaders because they use so much less water. And I would suggest not using a powder. Unless you wash in warm water regularly and hot water at least once a week, you run the risk of plugging up the filters in your new machine and having an expensive service call that the warranty will not cover. The undissolved powder will cake on the filters and build up and you won't know it's happening until you have water running everywhere but where it should. Powders take a lot of water and at the least warm water to thoroughly dissolve and your HE machine uses a lot less water than your old machine. Oh and you can end up with soap powder balls stuck to your clothes too! These come from the powder not dissolving and it just hangs around. Bite the bullet and use the HE stuff.

• 10 years ago

Yes you WILL DAMAGE your new front loading machine if you don't use only high-efficiency detergent in it. Why? Conventional detergent that is not designed for high-efficiency machines has more foaming agents in it to suspend dirt. The plumbing for a conventional center post agitator machine is different from a front loading machine. Over time if you use low-efficiency detergent in a high-efficiency machine the "soap" will clog the plumbing of the machine cause it to break down.

I have heard that this is the No. 1 service call for repairs from people who are defiant or ignorant and insist on using regular detergent in their high-efficiency front load machines.

Source(s): manufacturer's instruction manuals and "horror" stories from friends who own high-efficiency laundry machines
  • 10 years ago

you will risk 3 things ... using regular washing detergent

1. It will make too many suds and possibly overflow and get into the machines electrics

2. It will over sud and clog up the machines internals

3. The machine will be set to rinse with enough water to cover the less sudsy , but more soapy front loading soap , leaving your clothes not well rinsed

No 1 and two will result in out of warranty repairs over time .

Having siad that , on the odd occasion and in desperate times should be ok , but i would rather be safe than sorry

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Yes it will damage it..give your old detergent away or use for hand washing. Pay the $5.00 and get the proper stuff. I do not know why someone would risk a new expensive appliance.

• Thing
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

Yes, it will clog up the machine over time. If your washer specifies to use High Efficiency detergent, use only that.

Source(s): I'm taking a college class that's all about equipment and appliances. My mom also asked this question to the sales guy at The Great Indoors and he said the same thing.
  • 10 years ago

Yes it will damage it. Get the proper stuff.

• 10 years ago

I don't think so. But it may make a mess if suds start coming out.

• 10 years ago

no. it will only remove the dirt on your clothes

Source(s): through everyday usage
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

no, but it will foam like crazy, not a good idea

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.