Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why do people still believe in global warming?

Humanists are seriously a proud bunch aren't they?

Think about it. If the Humanists of the world really believed that the world was getting warmer, they wouldn't look at it as a threat--but as a mere "bump" in the road that they would be certain they would overcome, as they do with everything else.

And seriously, if global warming is true, think about the many positive effects it would have on the world:

1. There would be more land with moderate climate for all those people who are "overpopulating" the earth to live on. (Overpopulation problem solved)

2. There would be more fresh water available for irrigating desert lands. (Food Shortage solved)

3. More arable land to grow crops. (Food Shortage solved)

4. Milder winters. (Heat fuel shortage solved)

5. Milder winters. (Less sickness)

6. More Ultra Violet rays getting to earth. (UV kills some bacteria)

7. Longer summers, longer tourist seasons. (More national income)

The global warming scare has enabled environmental advocacy groups to raise billions of dollars in contributions and government grants. It has given politicians opportunities to pose as prophets of doom and slayers of evil corporations. And it has given bureaucrats at all levels of government, from the United Nations to city councils, powers that threaten our jobs and individual liberty.

It is time for common sense to return to the debate over protecting the environment. An excellent first step would be to end the “global warming” scam.

WHO'S WITH ME?

PRAISE THE LORD!

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

*facepalm*

YOUR POINTS

1. Maybe true but nobody wants to buy somewhere else, they want to stay where they are comfortable. With all this moving around, what will happen to the animal habitats and everything else you have mention? Some animals happen to like the extreme.

2. I think you have something wrong here. More heat means that all the fresh water in the ice caps will melt into the ocean. The salinity of the ocean may change a little (disrupting marine life) but the water will not be fresh. Sea levels will rise and now we just have more salt water, not fresh.

3. Again, maybe, but you said people would live there? Plus, you have to consider that land area will be reduced by rising sea levels. Plus, soil doesn't automatically become fertile. For example, if the Sahara desert suddenly experienced light tropical storms and optimal weather conditions, nothing is going to grow in the sandy soil.

4. There is a fuel shortage because people are using too much fuel (it is a finite source). Milder winters isn't going to stop this.

5. The common cold isn't caused by the weather, it is caused by a virus. You could still have the same flu seasons if there were milder winters.

6. UV kills some bacteria, yes, but it also burns our skin cells and we get radiation burns. This causes us to get cancer.

7. Tell that to the Canadians and New Zealanders who make a lot of their money in the winter months with snow.

THINGS TO THINK ABOUT

People are making such a big deal about this because it is a big deal. You say there will be milder winters, but there will also be harsher summers (ever been near the equator in a heat wave? Not fun). The oceans are in a very delicate balance, most fish do not posses real means of adaptation to deal with fluctuation in salinity and temperature (and why should they?). Global warming will kill the coral reefs around the world and may wipe out a lot of marine population.

Let's think chemically, the stuff that causes global warming (this time around) isn't natural, it's not good. It's true, every few thousand years the world goes through "global warming", just like an ice age, but our imput has made things so much worse. We caused this (mainly through overuse of fossil fuels). It's not going to be a better life for us. And these are just a few things that come with global warming!

Please research this topic further, you seem to only be listening to the "bureaucrats at all levels of government, from the United Nations to city councils" and while they may have some idea, it's nothing compared to what the scientists are predicting and what they know.

Source(s): Have studied/am studying ecology, biology, chemistry, physics, environmental sciences.
  • 1 decade ago

Global warming isn't a scam. The Pentagon warned George Bush about it on a report, read this article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2004/feb/22/...

This is not Greenpeace freaking out, it's the Pentagon, ok?

Now, about what you said:

1. There would be more land with moderate climate for all those people who are "overpopulating" the earth to live on. (Overpopulation problem solved)

Most people already live on warm places. How would you move 1.6 billion Chinese and 1.2 billion Indians into Alaska or Siberia? Seriously.

2. There would be more fresh water available for irrigating desert lands. (Food Shortage solved)

No, there would be less water actually, rainfall will decrease.

3. More arable land to grow crops. (Food Shortage solved)

The land that will be available will be much less than the land that will turn into deserts (think about the "dust bowl" in the 1930's)

4. Milder winters. (Heat fuel shortage solved)

Milder winters but summers would be much hotter

5. Milder winters. (Less sickness)

Tropical diseases would spread

6. More Ultra Violet rays getting to earth. (UV kills some bacteria)

UV-a kills bacteria but also causes cancer, and actually the ozone is the gas that keeps uv light from getting in, global warming has no effect on that

7. Longer summers, longer tourist seasons. (More national income)

What is going to happen is that deserts are going to start to grow, national income will be spend in trying to buy food (because agriculture will go to hell) so I don't see more national income

This is really not about politics, it's about pollution and drought. I thought the conservatives were friends of the farmers (who will be hurt by global warming) but today's conservatives are friends of the oil and coal industry. You may not know it but you are talking like a Saudi oil minister. If you want to help, support nuclear energy.

• 1 decade ago

there are more negatives to global warming than positives, but with that said I don't think the impact of humans is as severe as many people say it is. I also don't think it's as minimal as the other say. It's probably somewhere in the middle. Either way I think that humans should try to have minimal impact on the environment and the earth, and keep it as hospitable to human life as possible. First of all more Ultra Violet Rays would be terrible for humans, they cause mutations in our DNA and lead to cancer. Another negative to UV rays is that not all bacteria is bad. Secondly, while milder winters would reduce heating fuel, it would increase the fuel we use for cooling, I don't see how that is a valid argument. Another problem with you statement is that milder winters would produce less sickness, think about tropical areas, they have more diseases and hosts to carry those diseases and viruses. You might be talking about the common cold, but I'm talking about malaria and other epidemics around the world.

The scare to raise billions of dollars is the same as people saying the companies are in the pockets of the politicians against global warming.

I don't know for sure what's happening, as I'm sure many scientists and environmentalist don't know, but I definitely know you don't have any idea what's going on after reading this.

• 4 years ago

I am still a little sceptical, despite the fact that I really care about our wild places. I do however think that we should take the threat seriously. The evidence proves that natural cycles of weather occur on a grand scale. There were once lions, hippos and elephants wandering the UK countryside, about 120,000 years ago. That was an interglacial warm spell. The thing that is not disputed, is that these things happen naturally, after all the Scottish countryside is full of glacial features. However, the evidence suggests that our added contribution to global warming is making it happen at a FASTER rate than life can cope with. We are talking about climate change happening in decades, rather than spanning centuries or thousands of years. Wildlife has coped with climate change fairly well in the past. woodlands and grasslands can move at their snails pace, to keep track of the conditions that suit them. These days there are added issues. We now have our wildlife trapped in pockets that are surrounded by farmland. The natural "corridors" are gone. Wildlife charities are doing their best to make our wild places more joined up. If climate change continues as it is and there is no space for things to move, then we will lose a lot. Anyway, I think my main issue is that I don't want it to be true.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Global Warming is a natural phenomena of the Earth. The earth goes through warming periods around every 10,000-15,000 years in a similar fashion to ice age. This is scientific fact.

What I am actually skeptical about is human caused global warming, which seems like a non-problem. The most abundant greenhouse gas is water vapour and is hardly produced by humans. I think it is important to have a certain amounr of ecological awareness, but global warming is essentially beyond our control, so i don't see the big problem in it.

Source(s): Atheist.
  • 1 decade ago

its not a scam... the poles are getting warmer, ice is melting and making the ocean colder. now we have messed up weather and oceans. im going into environmental science, and global warming is a real thing that politicians blab on without any real knowledge of it. billions really shouldnt be spend to fix it either, it should be solved by policy and that still cant stop emissions from other countries.

• 1 decade ago

You truly lack even the basic understanding of what climate change would mean to life as we know it on earth. Please do some actually reading and research of your own on the subject instead of doing a copy and paste from some right wing website. You will look far less like a dolt.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

global warming is bad because for one, its not natural. its our ozone thinning, which means there is cosmic radiation pouring into our bodies, which means its gonna have effects on us and the earth. also its melting the ice caps, causing land to sink. UV rays kill bacteria, but they also cause cancer. milder winters...what about thoes creatures that live in winter climate? there just gonna die. so, what i just said is common sense, not what you said, what you said is just a foolish way of thinking about it.

• 1 decade ago

no the problem is and this is what you dont get, if the ******* ice caps melt the whole water curints in the ocian would stop and half the world would freeze, and second their would be less fresh water, and the hot spots on earth would be way to hot!!!!, yha have to put into concideration that nature is mother f en delicate

• 1 decade ago

You should look up the facts. It is real whether you like it or not.

Trash is piling up and killing lots of species in the process, all because of human pollution.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.