Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

The Crucible by Arthur Miller.?

I have just a few questions about this play.

1. What was Reverend parris' occupation before he came to Salem?

2. Why was Reverend Parris' sent for the Reverend John Hale of Beverly?

3. Why did Abigail drink a charm to kill John Proctor's wife?

4. What is the concept of the Land- lust?

thank you!

Favorite Answer

Hi, I read the play last year so I will try to answer the best I can!

1. Reverend Parris was a businessman (owner of a plantation) in Barbados before coming to Salem.

2. Reverend John Hale was summoned to Salem by Reverend Parris to examine Betty (as she was quite "ill" after the incident in the woods) and to study the incident in the woods - as he is a self-proclaimed expert on witchcraft etc.

3. Abigail is in love with John Proctor, as they had an affair (which he ended) and therefore wants Goody Proctor "out of the picture".

4. Land-lust was the label given to the constant 'warring' between neighbours in Salem over land ownership, rights and boundaries. Great jealousy and angst was generated due to this. In the context of the witch trials which arose after this issue had begun, a resident of Salem may accuse their neighbour of witchcraft due to the extent of the issue, wanting to get revenge against their neighbour or increase their land ownership.

Hope this helps!

It looks as though you got some good answer above. If you need more help, I've linked Shmoop's The Crucible..