I need to get out of a cosigned student loan for abusive Ex- husband?

10 years ago I cosigned a student loan for my abusive ex husband. Two days after signing the loan I left him and obtained a restraining order. It is in my divorce decree that I an indemnified from it, but the loan company will not honor it. (I get it they are not a party to the divorce) I had to sign the loan... show more 10 years ago I cosigned a student loan for my abusive ex husband. Two days after signing the loan I left him and obtained a restraining order. It is in my divorce decree that I an indemnified from it, but the loan company will not honor it. (I get it they are not a party to the divorce) I had to sign the loan because our past years tax return was filed jointly as his wife and they would not give out a loan to either of us independently (my is paid off) He added to the original amount and went on to a masters degree (org amt was $15000 and he took a total of $26000) The loan co says I am responsible for the $26000. Also found out that he forged my name on his tax returns after our divorced and claimed married filing jointly. He is now out of the country in CA and is 2 months behind. Do I have any recourse? I am no longer his wife. I signed because I was afraid of what he would do to me if I didn't sign. I have Documentation of the restraining order which details an example of his abuse, therapist who observed his threatening behavior, police reports of his attempted harm (riped the phone lines from my house). I can not have this damaging my credit right now and can not pay this loan. I can not have any contact with him as he has attempted harm on me in the past when ever we have run into each other. ( ran my car off the road, or follows me around town) what can I do. I can not wait till it damages my credit and then take him to court.
Update: I still will not get the money if I sue him. And I will not pay the loan. He is not in the country and even if he does appear in court, that does not make him pay. It just "orders" him to pay and good luck getting your money. Will spend more in court fees them the loan
Update 2: DO not need another loan. Please read post as any solicitations for loan will be reported. What do you work for my Ex Husband?