ZenShinobi asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

How long does it take to learn all Shotokan Kata or wing chun forms?

Not really asking how long to perfect them. i mean how long of consistent training does it take for one to be taught all the kata in shotokan. Or the forms of wing chun? no i'm not in any hurry or any thing, i'm just curious.

Update:

I understand all martial arts take years to perfect and u never truly stop learning

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Kokoro
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

you are all missing the point of kata and forms, its not about memorizing them or perfecting them its about understanding them.

memorizing 30 kata is useless if you dont understand the meaning of them, and yes thats how many kata are in shotokan if you include all the fundamental and basic kata, people dont often teach ten no kata and all 3 taikyoku's. but most sensei only teach the 26 basic and advance kata and skip the fundamental one's or dont include them in there count.

after getting the basic moves down, there are five levels of application of kata, from the most basic to the most advance.

Oyo or Ura

Okuden

Kakushi

Henka

Sutemi

this is one of many reasons why Sensei Funakoshi said it takes 3 years to learn the simplest of kata.

kata or forms are your style without them, you dont have karate, every thing yiou need is in kata

Kata at its core teaches the following

Technique

Tactics

Kokyu (breathe control)

Kaeshu (reversals)

Atemi (vital strike to vital area)

Kyusho (pressure point strikes)

Kensetsu (bone or joint bending)

Appaku (applied pressure)

Kotekitai (absorbing and controlling pain)

Nage (throwing)

Chime (choking)

mastery of a kata means you have an master everything about the kata, all the techniques of the kata as well as all 5 aspects of application of the kata, even in kung fu forms these applications apply, many karate kata either cam e from kung fu or was influenced by it, they may not use the same terms as kung fu but they are still applicable.

Source(s): 30+yrs ma
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It depends on your individual level of skill. With Wing Chun there are only 4 fighting forms and two weapon forms. To memorize the basic movements of all six forms might take you from 6 months to 1 year. It really couldn't be less than six months since one form has 108 movements, and the weapons forms are difficult just to learn without hurting yourself. The actual movements of Wing Chun are actually pretty simple, which is a credit to the learning curve of the art.

Shotokan Karate officially has 27 forms, but 26 is the most common that are taught. While the Wing Chun forms do not contain any moves that a reasonably healthy person could not perform, the Shotokan forms contain movements that can only be done after conditioning and training. So to just memorize each form, assuming you can perform every move from the beginning, would take a little over 2 years. However, more realistically it should take you about 3 1/2 to 5 years.

Most advance forms of martial arts contain forms and movements that stretch human ability to its limits. This is done either as an intense training exercise to keep the fighter healthy and fit, or as an extreme counter to other advanced martial arts moves, so this slows the learning process. Understand, of course, that I have merely listed how long it will take you to memorize all of the movements and duplicate them. This is by no means any measure of mastery or skill. It usually takes about five years of practice on ONE form to say that a person has achieved some "mastery" of that form. I would say it takes about two years of practice per form to develop a high level of skill. This isn't to say that you can't use martial arts in self defense within your first year of learning, but I am pointing out how long until the moves become second nature and you achieve a deeper understanding of them.

Happy Training!

Source(s): 16 yrs training in martial arts 3 yrs teaching MA
  • machin
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Wing Chun Kata

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How long does it take to learn all Shotokan Kata or wing chun forms?

Not really asking how long to perfect them. i mean how long of consistent training does it take for one to be taught all the kata in shotokan. Or the forms of wing chun? no i'm not in any hurry or any thing, i'm just curious.

Source(s): long learn shotokan kata wing chun forms: https://biturl.im/j7Oiw
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The movements in all 26 of the Shotokan kata can be learned in a matter of months. As you indicated, you will spend the rest of your life perfecting thme

• CTC
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It all depends on the individual martial artist.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.