Opening Day trivia question (just one) -- who has hit home runs in...?

...the most time zones?

Real home runs, real regular season (championship play) games, no trickiness about Standard v. Daylight Savings time. Nope. This MLB player has hit perfectly valid home runs in more time zones than anyone else.

Who is he?

How many time zones?

(I stumbled across this a few weeks ago and have been saving it. Never would have thought of it myself. Enjoy.)

Update:

One of you -- no surprise in either the individual or the quantity -- actually did the research, but missed a key point.

Update 2:

And Utter Chaos once again belies his name by imposing absolute order upon a corner of the universe.

Tony Clark, who has gone yard in all four continental US zones, plus Puerto Rico (Atlantic) and Tokyo (Japan Std).

Six.

Gant still has the only HR hit in Hawaii.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

Besides the main U.S. times zone (Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific) baseball has also been played in Hawaii and Japan so let's start there. (San Juan PR is EST and Monterrey Mexico is CST)

HAWAII

April 20, 1997 - Ron Gant

JAPAN

March 29, 2000 - Shane Andrews and Mark Grace

March 30, 2000 - Benny Agbayani

March 30, 2004 - Jason Giambi, Jose Cruz Jr, and Tino Martinez

March 31, 2004 - Tony Clark, Hideki Matsui, and Jorge Posada

March 25, 2008 - Brandon Moss, Mark Ellis, and Jack Hanahan

March 26, 2008 - Manny Ramirez and Emil Brown

Since nobody hit a home run in both of these time zones it would have to be one of these players that hit a home run in either Arizona or Colorado (MST) as well as the other U.S. Time Zones. The following players would qualify:

Ron Gant, Shane Andrews, Mark Grace, Benny Agbayani, Jason Giambi, Jose Cruz, Tino Martinez, Tony Clark, Hideki Matsui, Mark Ellis, Manny Ramirez and Emil Brown.

Unless I missed something there are twelve tied with 5. We have Ron Gant (EST, CST, MST, PST, HST) and 11 others (EST, CST, MST, PST, JST)

edit: Hold on. San Juan is in the Atlantic Time Zone (even though right now it's the same time as EST). So that makes the answer Tony Clark with 6 (EST, CST, MST, PST, JST, and AST)

• 10 years ago

I'll go with Barry Bonds. Not only is he the all-time home run leader, but he played for the Pirates for a while (Eastern Time Zone, quite a few games against Central Time Zone opponents like Cubs and Cardinals), but he played in San Francisco (Pacific Time Zone). He played in SF during the Wild Card era, ie in the NL West with Colorado, which is the only team in the Mountain Time Zone (I think... Arizona might be, but they're in the NL West, too). American League players would only play in Colorado once every eight years or so. Bonds played there every month.

So, Bonds.

Source(s): Educated guess.
  • 10 years ago

Hideki Matsui

• 10 years ago

Ken Griffey Jr.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

I'll guess Ichiro in 5 time zones... all of the US time zones and the one in Japan.

• MFFL
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Barry Bonds*

• 10 years ago

hmmmm.....it would have to be someone after baseball expanded to the West Coast and likely somebody who played for multiple teams.

Probably not right, but I'd have to guess Barry Bonds because he is the HR leader and has played on both coasts...

...it's probably somebody like Dave Kingman...isn't it?

• 10 years ago

Dave Kingman

Source(s): wiki
  • 10 years ago

Ichiro?

• ry4en
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

Ken Griffey Jr: He played on Mariners (PST), Reds (EST), in central division (Mostly CST)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.