Ramadan: Can someone please tell me the meaning of SHIRK?

Salam,

Some users fail to understand the meaning of SHIRK. There are MANY FORMS of SHIRK

Please try to understand and read the following:

1. Taking human beings from among ourselves as Lords or Patrons besides Allah

3:64 Say, “O People of the Book! Let us come to a mutual agreement, that we shall worship and obey none but God. That neither shall we ascribe divinity to anyone beside Him, nor shall we take human beings from among ourselves as our lords beside God.” And if they turn away, then say, “Bear witness that it is we who have surrendered ourselves unto Him.”

2. Taking angels or Prophets as Lords or Patrons besides Allah

3:80 Nor would he instruct you to take the angels and the Prophets for lords and patrons. Would he command you to disbelieve after you have surrendered to Allah?

3. Taking Ahbaar and Rahbaan (religious authorities) as Lords and Patrons besides Allah

9:31 They take their rabbis, priests and monks or ascetics to be their Lords* besides Allah. And they take as their Lord, the Messiah son of Mary. Yet they were commanded to worship but One God. There is no god but He. Praise and Glory to Him, He is far too Glorious for what they ascribe to Him. (*Talmud shows the Jewish superstition of ascribing divinity to Ezra, rabbis, saints, doctors of law and learned men. And the doctrine of Papal infallibility, divinity of saints and praying to them are common in the Roman Catholic Church).

9:34 O You who have chosen to be graced with belief! A great many religious leaders, rabbis, priests, monks, mullahs, yogis, and mystics devour the wealth of mankind in falsehood, and debar them from the Path of Allah. All those who hoard up gold and silver and spend it not in the Cause of Allah, to them give tidings (O Prophet) of a painful doom.

12:39 “O My prison mates! Are several Lords differing among themselves better, or Allah, the One, the Insuperable?”

4. Worshipping, obeying and adoring [IBADAT of] anything besides Allah

4:36 Obey, adore and worship Allah and associate no partner with Him…

18:110 Say (O Prophet), "I am but a mortal man like all of you. It is revealed to me that your God is the One and Only God. Hence, whoever looks forward to meeting His Sustainer, let him do works that help others, and let him admit no one as partner in the service [Ibadat] of his Sustainer. ”

24:55 Allah has promised that those of you peoples who will believe in the Divine Laws and strengthen human resources, He will surely make them rulers in the earth - Just as He granted rule to the previous nations (28:6), (33:27). He will surely establish for them the System of life that He has approved for them, and will replace their fear with peace and security. All this because they serve Me alone. They ascribe no partner to Me. But all who, after this, deny these Laws will drift out (of the community of living nations. The ‘belief’ in this verse does not pertain to any dogmas and tenets, but to the realization that the entire Universe is operating under the unchangeable Physical Laws of One Supreme Authority, thus providing the basis for all Science and Technology).

5. Taking Masters [Wali] other than Allah

6:14 Say, “Shall I take for my master [Wali] other than Allah Who is the Initiator of the heavens and the earth? And He provides all without return. Feeds but is not fed.” Say, “ I have been commanded to be the foremost among those who surrender to Him and ascribe not divinity besides Him.”

6. Taking ILAH other than Allah

6:19 Say (O Messenger), "What could be the greatest witness?” Say, “Allah is Witness between me and you. This Qur’an has been revealed to me so that I may warn you as well as whomever it reaches. Do you bear witness that there are other deities besides Allah?” Say, “I bear no such witness.” Say, “He is the One God [ILAH]. I disown what you associate with Him.”

7. Taking Jinns as partners of Allah

6:100 Yet, there are people who think falsely that there are invisible creatures, Jinns, with occult powers that share the Divine Attributes. But He has created them, and people assign sons and daughters to Him out of sheer ignorance. Glorified, Exalted is He, infinitely Above what they ascribe to Him.

8. Obeying devil-inspired people

6:121 Eat not anything (not just meat) unless the Name of Allah has been pronounced first, for that will mean drifting away from Commands. The rebellious or devils [among people] inspire their companions to dispute with you. If you people obey them, you will be associating others with Allah.

9. Calling upon others [graves, mystics, saints, idols, etc.] besides Allah for help

7:189 (The Message encompasses life in its totality.) Recall that Allah created life from a single life cell, then made male and female cells, and then shaped you into human beings, males and females. He designed it such that man might incline with love towards the woman. When he gets intimate with her, she carries a light load that she can har

Favorite Answer

Shirk comes from the Arabic word meaning partner or partnership

so basically it means that you're saying that Allah has a partner or someone that helps Him out.

This "partner" could be in the form of wife, son, daughter, or evn someone that controls the world with Him.

Shirk is in two categories and you got the gist of the MAJOR SHIRK. There is MINOR SHIRK as well. Minor Shirk is showing off and being arrogant.. Or speaking without knowledge just to gain praise.

If you do see Muslims visiting graves and praying at them, they are committing the MAJOR SHIRK.

If you see Christians calling upon Jesus for help, it is major shirk.

Allaah wants us to call upon Him alone.

Source(s): Muslim
  • ---

Shirk is simply associating another being in worship along with Allah {God}.

It's not really that hard to understand, but people tend to justify their actions.

Source(s):

In my community (I am not a Muslim)

The word is used as a form of "Lazy"or "idle".

To shirk means to evade your work or duty,a shirker is someone who does this.

I do not employ "Shirkers".

I know this is propably not what you are looking for,but sometimes another perspective helps to understand something.